1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need some advice please...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_MJ, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Chris_MJ

Chris_MJ Agent

Hello, I found this website recently and it is great. I am into HT but I really know next to nothing about the technical aspect. Anyways I recently purchased a Toshiba widescreen RPTV 42H81. I have a cheap DVD player a Toshiba sd1200. I would like to upgrade my DVD player so I am looking for suggestions for something in the mid-price range. Would a progressive scan player be recommended? Would it greatly improve picture quality?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Doug_Bbn

Doug_Bbn Auditioning

A progressive scan DVD player may or may not "greatly" improve the image quality - all depends on how observant you are. My wife barely noticed or cared. I thought it was a major improvement. You don't have to spend a lot of money on a DVD player to get a good picture. But if you can find one that has the Faroudja/Sage DCDi progressive scan chip, it will perform a lot better than other progressive scan logic. Panasonic is just now discontinuing the DVD-RP56 which sold for $200-$250 - only player in their line with the DCDi chip. Denon has just released a progressive scan player with the DCDi chip that has a list price in the $500 range (sorry, I forget the model number). You probably wouldn't see much of a difference between the 2 players. See the faroudja.com website and find the page that shows the DVD players that contain the DCDi chip - you won't be sorry, but watch out, some of them cost $3000 and more!