Need some advice please...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_MJ, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Chris_MJ

Chris_MJ Agent

Hello, I found this website recently and it is great. I am into HT but I really know next to nothing about the technical aspect. Anyways I recently purchased a Toshiba widescreen RPTV 42H81. I have a cheap DVD player a Toshiba sd1200. I would like to upgrade my DVD player so I am looking for suggestions for something in the mid-price range. Would a progressive scan player be recommended? Would it greatly improve picture quality?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Doug_Bbn

Doug_Bbn Auditioning

A progressive scan DVD player may or may not "greatly" improve the image quality - all depends on how observant you are. My wife barely noticed or cared. I thought it was a major improvement. You don't have to spend a lot of money on a DVD player to get a good picture. But if you can find one that has the Faroudja/Sage DCDi progressive scan chip, it will perform a lot better than other progressive scan logic. Panasonic is just now discontinuing the DVD-RP56 which sold for $200-$250 - only player in their line with the DCDi chip. Denon has just released a progressive scan player with the DCDi chip that has a list price in the $500 range (sorry, I forget the model number). You probably wouldn't see much of a difference between the 2 players. See the faroudja.com website and find the page that shows the DVD players that contain the DCDi chip - you won't be sorry, but watch out, some of them cost $3000 and more!