What's new

Need some advice please! Marantz SR6014 9.2 (1 Viewer)

KMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelly
I am looking at a good deal for the Marantz SR6014 9.2 But I notice that the Marantz SR7013 9.2 has 125 watts and the SR6014 is 110 watts. Is there that much of a difference between the 15 watts beside the $1000 more for that extra watts? I am upgrading from Pioneer VSX-1325.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Fifteen watts will only be a fraction of a decibel difference in volume to your speakers – you won’t hear it. The price-tag difference is because of additional features, such as Dolby Atmos. Not worth it unless you want those features.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fifteen watts will only be a fraction of a decibel difference in volume to your speakers – you won’t hear it. The price-tag difference is because of additional features, such as Dolby Atmos. Not worth it unless you want those features.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I'm pretty sure that the SR6014 model which is one of Marantz's new receivers has the same features if not more than the SR7013 model. @JohnRice If your home theater room isn't very large then I would buy if it's cheaper the SR6014 model.

KMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelly
Thank you for the info Reg is $2000 CND and at the store they have it for $1599.
And i found this cool compare site. https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/marantz-sr6014/usa/marantz-sr7013/usa/
I think if they still have it today I will go and pick it up. my room is 26X18 and have 7.1 now and with the new receiver I want to install 2 speakers in the ceiling (Drop ceiling) for Atmos...... and on that do they have to be a specific type?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You have to be careful of how they are defining those power ratings. The 1000 dollars extra may not be because of 15 Watts more. It may be because the more expensive receiver has an amplifier section that can deliver 125 watts to each dedicated channel, while the cheaper amp is rated to deliver 110 Watts based on only one channel driven. The actual output per channel is far less when you drive every channel.

Also, the rated power becomes more important based on the efficiency of your speakers and their ohm rating. A 4 ohm speaker with an 89 decibel efficiency rating is going to need a lot more power than an 8 ohm speaker with a 90 decibel efficiency rating. A less efficient 8 ohm speaker will require more power than a more efficient 8 ohm, so you want to make sure the receiver can deliver the needed power to all channels without overheating or causing the amp to clip and possibly damaging your speakers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for the info Reg is $2000 CND and at the store they have it for $1599.
And i found this cool compare site. https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/marantz-sr6014/usa/marantz-sr7013/usa/
I think if they still have it today I will go and pick it up. my room is 26X18 and have 7.1 now and with the new receiver I want to install 2 speakers in the ceiling (Drop ceiling) for Atmos...... and on that do they have to be a specific type?
If you're not interested in 3-D Auro then I think the 6013 model is the right choice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You have to be careful of how they are defining those power ratings. The 1000 dollars extra may not be because of 15 Watts more. It may be because the more expensive receiver has an amplifier section that can deliver 125 watts to each dedicated channel, while the cheaper amp is rated to deliver 110 Watts based on only one channel driven. The actual output per channel is far less when you drive every channel.

Also, the rated power becomes more important based on the efficiency of your speakers and their ohm rating. A 4 ohm speaker with an 89 decibel efficiency rating is going to need a lot more power than an 8 ohm speaker with a 90 decibel efficiency rating. A less efficient 8 ohm speaker will require more power than a more efficient 8 ohm, so you want to make sure the receiver can deliver the needed power to all channels without overheating or causing the amp to clip and possibly damaging your speakers.
Fair points!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm pretty sure that the SR6014 model which is one of Marantz's new receivers has the same features if not more than the SR7013 model. @JohnRice If your home theater room isn't very large then I would buy if it's cheaper the SR6014 model.
It's not obvious what the differences between the 6014 and 7013 are just based on specs. They're actually basically simultaneous models, despite one being '13 and the other being '14. In other words, they're the same generation and only separated by a couple months. The 7013 is just built more expensively. Bigger power supply, better DACs, etc. It also has the full size display behind the front door, which the 6014 doesn't, and has a much larger enclosure. I suggest looking into either a refurbished or new closeout SR6013 if you want to save some money. I don't think there's much difference between it and the 6014. You can get the 6013 on closeout here in the US for $900, where the 6014 runs about $1,500.

As others have said, 15 watts is insignificant. FWIW, I got a SR7012 for my living room as an open box closeout at a local reputable seller last summer, but I got such an outrageous deal on it, I couldn't pass it up. I would have gone with the 6013 otherwise.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Those last few replies were posted while I was responding. You can see, there isn't a big difference in specs. I don't know if hdcp 2.3 vs 2.2 is much of a big deal in the real world. I don't think it is.

You might just consider a closeout SR6013. I almost always buy the last generation, since it's such a deal.

KMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelly
when I look up the SR6013 its the same price for the SR6014.. and being up in Canada the prices and a little high including 13% sales tax..
I am using 2 rears and center are Paradigm Titans V2 and fronts and mids are Polk audio

KMAN

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelly
I did and finally finished setting it up and with my Logitech remote,,,,just have to save up for the ceiling speakers
Polk Audio 70 RT or the Polk Audio V60

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks