Need some advice on JBL/Infinity speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mark--M, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the process of upgrading my HT. I'm currenly using JBL Northridge ND-310's (same as E-100's) for mains and plan on downsizing them now that I have a powered sub on the way. I need some help in deciding what to go with.

I really like the looks (Black and Silver) of my Northridge series and dont want to loose that so I've narrowed my choice down to two options that look similer, the JBL Studio series II and I'm also considering the Infinity Alpha series. Probably looking at S38 II's or Alpha 40's for Mains.

Can anybody give me any idea on these compare in terms of performance? I'm guessing the JBL's may have the edge but I like the fact that the Infinity's can be purchased as a dual 6" floorstander (exactly what I wanted).

Would both of these options be a defenate improvement over my current mains? Dont worry about matching the other speakers of the system. They will be upgraded as well with matching speakers, but my biggest concern are the Mains for now.

2. Jonathan T.

Jonathan T. Stunt Coordinator

Personally I think the Infinitys are the better choice.

3. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

It will be nearly impossible to get the S38's except used here, on e-Bay, etc.

4. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

Well both are discontinued, but considering my budget id be purchasing on e-bay or get them used locally anyway.

Any other suggestions? Is the Beta series really a big improvement from the Aplha series?