Need some advice on a projector ...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Colton, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Okay, guys ... here's the deal.

My first row is only six or seven feet away from a 92" screen. I need the best quality projector that's under $3000. I'm concerned about too much pixelation.

Please help!

- Colton

2. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Maybe I should have gotten a 80" screen instead?

The room is 10.10 x 23. Screen goes on the 10.10 wall.

- Colton

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moving to displays. I will chime in again later but for now, there are a few possibilities (LCD, DLP as well as CRT). Is the room light controlled well, how high is the ceiling? I don't think you should have gotten the 80" screen. The 92" can work in that room.

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Colton, are you saying you have 10' of seating distance or 23'? If 23', why is your first row so close to screen?

5. frankinG

frankinG Stunt Coordinator

Just my opinion of course [​IMG] but my idea of projection is the all mighty size of the image. I know that space constraints dictate just how large you can go with a display size but all the modern projectors are quite efficient at 92". It is when you start to go much larger that you will start to see the deficiencies of the cheaper models. At 3000$ you have many good choices but your 6-7' front row seating distance in my opinion is pushing it. Sitting that close to a screen of that size is going to make your eyes go almost cross eyed as you try to focus on the back and forth activity on the screen. Not to mention making any artifiacting in the source material very noticable. My panny 700 with a 106" screen requires me to sit a minimum distance of 10'back. I have to get almost right up to the screen to start seeing any grid patterns but who watches that close anyways? 92" is workable but your choice of projector and most importantly the source material quality will be the deciding factor on watching an image of that size from a very close distance. Watching high definition material up close is quite feasable while some mediocre standard dvd sources will have you running out of the room. Go with at least the 92" screen if it is not too late and make every attempt to sit a little bit further back if you can. Your experiences with large screen entertainment will be a rewarding one instead of a disapointing one.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

Take a look at the BenQ PE7700, the Toshiba MT700 or the Optima H77, I have seen the H77 and in my opinion the picture on a 120 looks awesome even standing 4 feet away from the screen, If I had the bucks right now I would get one of those 3 as they probably have just about the same picture quality

7. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Sorry for getting back to this topic so late.

I can't move the first row further back. There will be a second row and following that the ticket booth. The rest of the room will be used for the concession/snack bar. Believe me, if I could move the first row further back - I would. The chairs will be Berkline 90s with a full recline that gives the eye-to-screen distance about six feet.

I'll look into the Optima H77. That sounds like the solution to my problem. I haven't purchased a screen yet, so I'll go with a 92" for sure.

- Colton