What's new

Need some advice on a new audio/video receiver (1 Viewer)

Nikki Dial

Auditioning
Hello, I'm looking to replace my old Sony Dolby Pro-Logic receiver. It has served me well over the last 6-7 years but now I need something to work well with my Toshiba SD-1600 DVD player.
Right now a local chain of stores have the Sony STR-DE975 (previous model year I believe) on sale for $429 Canadian, normally $599. I have been reading through some of the posts and it seems like Sony isn't too well liked except for the high end stuff in which I cannot afford. I'm looking to spend in between $300-700 CDN. I'm looking at the following kinds of receivers and would like opinions on them.
Sony STR-DE975 as mentioned above. Can be had for $429 or cheaper if a demo unit.
Onkyo TX-SR600 $499 or $599 (Can't remember which) CDN or so.
Pioneer VSXD811S for about $500 CDN.
Yamaha RX-V430 or RX-V530. 530 maybe out of my price range though.
Thanks for any input! ;)

Nikki Dial

Auditioning
I also meant to say that this would be used primarily as a Home Theatre setup. Maybe 75% movies, 25% for music use. Thanks.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Take a look at Panasonic's SA-HE100. It's got 6 channel amplification, DD-EX, DTS-ES and Pro-Logic II decoding. It also has S-Video and component video switching. Street price is $499CDN.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Nikki:

Some thoughts on the receivers you've listed...

Sony STR-DE975: I'd stay away from the Sony DE line. I used a DE835 for about 2 years, and had no idea what I was missing until I replaced it with an H/K.

Onkyo TX-SR600: Close call, in terms of theater performance, between the Onkyo and the Pioneer 811. Pionner has extra connectivity, bells and whistles which might be a factor. Onkyo handles music a bit better, so I'd chose it over the Pioneer.

Pioneer VSXD811S: Adquate for theater, subpar for music. Lots of flexibility, all the modes you'll need, good connectivity, but not up to the quality of Onkyo or Yamaha in my opinion.

Yamaha RX-V430 or RX-V530: I've only heard the 630, which impressed me as being a powerful theater receiver that was quite dynamic, if a bit fatiguing, in 2-channel stereo. I'd take the 630 over anything else on this list, but can't comment specifically on the 430 or 530.

-AM

Nikki Dial

Auditioning
Thanks guys. The Panasonic looks really nice, I'd like to change my components to silver. But that SA-HE100/S seems to have all the bells and whistles for a reasonable price. I just wonder how the quality is as i haven't seen anyone talk about Panasonic.

JohnnyG, do you have this unit or know someone that does?

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Panasonic is pretty new to the receiver scene. Their DVD players are very good performers, however.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Nikki,

Probably won't get too many comments about the Panny, as someone said they are the 'new guys' and aren't everywhere yet.

Here are some other very respectable receivers that may/may not be in your price range (I'm no good going US -> CAN $.) These are all known for great HT sound and decent music to boot:

* Denon's 2802 or 1802
* Harman Kardon's 320 (325 now?) or 120 (125 now?)
* Outlaw Audio 1050

The Outlaw is only available from their website, but they are worth a look as they are high quality for price. I also saw someone today selling a 1050 in the Hardware Sale forum here for $300 shipped, so that's ... uhh ... $500 CAN? Really good deal for that reciever.

Good Luck!

-Joe

mark rush

Stunt Coordinator
For the money it would be hard to beat the panasonic he100
it has a lot of features on it, and panasonic has been in the electronic's field for a long time, can you say Technics
the Outlaw 1050 is a pretty good unit has adjustable crossover and other neat features, good luck

Zach Dunham

Auditioning
Sony Bla. In my personal opinion to go along with many others is Sony is clueless when it comes to Audio. Video on the other hand, man! Very good.

You sounded happy withthe performance of you previous receiver and good to hear but....... Yes MS. Niki, you should look elsewhere for the audio component for the HT. YOu have no idea what you have been missing and it sounds good to to be looking for other suggestions from people really into this hobbie.

Yamaha I have always found to come off with a twang in its audio delivery. It is a sharp receiver but...

Onkyo...............na

Angelo M. mentioned Harmon Kardon and have also listened and heard those receivers also. Very nice. Even if they are slightly under powered for the price range you are looking in. Their delivery I found to be pretty decent when it came down to it. Also a sharp receiver that could match your budget and still deliver the newer HT theater formats you maybe looking to upgrade too. Good hunting.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I believe it was Sound & Vision magazine that had a review of the HE100 a few months ago. It was very positive.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
For what it's worth Consumer Reports just listed the Panasonic 100 receiver as number 1 & a "Best Buy"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks