Need some advice - Installing home theatre

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by KevinJB, Nov 10, 2005.

1. KevinJB

KevinJB Auditioning

As a result of a flood I had, I have removed all my walls and I have run wire for a new home theater and audio to 5 different locations in the house. From the head end, where the home theater will be, I have installed CAT-5 to each audio location and left and right speaker wire from there. At the theater location I would like to install a screen and projector and I am not sure what to run. Please help. Any suggestions on wiring diagrams on the net that also could help.
    Thanks,
    KevinJB

2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    You need to do a total room layout first. Decide where the screen, seating, speaker location, and all your equipment (DVD Receiver etc..) will be located. If passable hook up your equipment temporally and try out these locations before the sheet rock goes up. It is much easier to move items at that time.
    Run a dedicated circuit from you electric panel to your equipment & sub locations.
    Your equipment area should also get an antenna, or cable wires needed plus a network wire for a computer if needed.
    Run 12 or 14 to all your speaker locations. Decide if your are going 5:1, 6:1 or 7:1.
    The LFE wire to the sub and 110.
    Your from your equipment to your projector, I would run composite, component, S-video and HDMI. The projector will need 110 also, some projectors you need to put a switch on it.

Sorry about your flood, I had a small flood last April. The Trilogy It took 5 months to rebuild and remodel the house. Kind of a blessing in disguise. The house is better than it was before & the theater is twice the size. [​IMG]

3. Matthew Bryde

Matthew Bryde Auditioning

My main suggestion would be to run as much as you can as far as wiring goes so you only have to do it once. When I built my home, I ran speaker wiring out to the patio roof and also wired the family room for 5.1 surround. I may never end up using that wiring but I know it's there if I do.

Once you have your components all sorted out, install the cabling once and with as many options as you can afford.