Need some advice buying a pool cue

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark_vdH, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

I've played pool for about a year, and I decided it's time to buy a decent cue. Not much choice or useful advice at the local dealer and local pool hall though, so I thought someone here might help. My price range is about $200-350.

Brands I am considering are Longoni, Buffalo and Predator. Is is better to buy an entry level cue from one of these expensive brands, or is it better to opt for a relatively expensive cue from a cheaper brand? Also, what's the difference in having steel or wooden joints? [​IMG]

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Mark,
    I'm going to try not to threadjack here, but I'm also highly interested and was considering the Meucci Black dot shafts.
    What about custome cues? I wouldn't even know what to ask for. Looking to spend in the same range about 200-350.

3. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Personally, I like simple designs, so I am leaning towards a "Sneaky Pete" style cue. Sneaky Petes usually are cheaper too, and I'm wondering if that's just because of the simple design or because the quality of the cue itself is less than normal cues.

No players I know play with "wood on wood" joints though, where most Sneaky Petes do have wood on wood joints, so I am also wondering if buying wood on wood joints will compromise quality/durability.

4. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Wow, I haven't even heard of any of those brands--when I was into pool 15 years ago, the big names were Mali and McDermott. Are they considered low-end now?