Need some advice and opinions. Play the waiting game or compromise

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, May 8, 2002.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Here is the deal. I am building my first HT and have run into somewhat of a snag. I have already purchased some speakers which I feel good about even though I cant listen to them yet, I have heard them quite a few times and know I like them. I was planning to order a sub and receiver here as soon as I found a tv. This is where the snag comes in.

I have decided that I need a direct view television as I will be doing quite a bit of gaming and dont want to worry about burn in. I will wory and I would rather not go through that. I also know I want a 4:3 tv as I still watch a lot of 4:3 programming.

I have shoped the various flat screen hdtv's at 36". MOst of these are flat screen sets which all have geometry issues to one extent or another and it bugs me. The one set that I like is the Hitachi 36udx10s since it has a curved screen it has no geometry issues. The ONLY problem with this set for me is 1 component input.

I have researched all the switch box options and it sounds like they might work O.K. I am sure if I went with a switch box though I would go with one of the extron or high end, high price to assure myself that I would not loose any quality for HD sources. This is one option.

My other option is to wait 3-4 months for the next generation of these 36" hdtv to arive (postpone my HT to the fall) and maybe the geometry issues will be improved and I could get a nice flat screen and 2 component inputs.

One more option I have is purchase a 32" Hitachi now (or the 36") which is on sale at CC for 999.99 and enjoy it for the summer and part of the fall until the next wave of 36" come out. At this point I can sell the Hitahci if I still feel the need to get a nice 36" (dont know how hard it is to sell a 4-5 month old tv, and what kind of resale value it will have).

This forum has made me obsessed! I stumbled upon this forum 6 weeks ago with a simple question and became obsessed with this hobbie. Now I am so confused about this tv issue I dont know if I should compromise or hold off on all of it till the fall and hope the next wave will have better geometry.

I need to move on one way or the other because this obsession is BAD and is eating up my time. I guess I just want some opinions because I dont know what to do. Alot of people say dont buy a tube if it doesnt have 2 component inputs. But then I could just get a switchbox, but am I loosing quality......AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

HELP!

2. Billy Fife

Billy Fife Extra

yes todd i can understand why you are concerned. when the new models will come out they will be very expensive correct?

very difficult decision and you can usually save money the more you wait but eventually you need to buy. good luck

3. David Broome

David Broome Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if front projectors are out of your price range, but LCD and DLP projectors for the most part are 4:3 and they have no burn-in issues.

I had a few friends over to play Halo on my 120" screen, and one of them was jealous because his 1/4 of the split screen was bigger than he had when playing single player at home on his big screen RPTV :)

4. Todd smith

I have $2000.00 or under for my budget (roughly). I think the front projector might be out. That sounds awesome though. Something to dream about......

5. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Todd---I wouldn't worry too much about geometry issues with flat screens, videophiles tend to blow small problems out of proportion. I just bought a 36" Sony for $1150, I ran the Video Essentials Laserdisc and the geometry is very good. There is almost no bend and overscan is right on the money. Add the facts that VSM can be turned-off and the 16-9 compression feature and you've got a Hell of a TV for the money. Oh yeah, it looks great too with my LDs and DVDs. The only advantage I can see with HDTVs is the ability to run DVDs progressive scan, the ability to watch Jay Leno or The Superbowl in high definition doesn't interest me, in fact this TV isn't even hooked-up to watch broadcast or cable. HDTV is a no-go for me until they come out with a HD format for watching movies.

6. Todd smith

Thanks for the info Tom and everyone else! I really do want an hdtv for the 480p on xbox, otherwise I would not care to much. Does anyone know if VSM can be turned off on the xbr450 as well? I would assume it can, but want to confirm.

Can this VSM be turned off with the other 36" hdtv sets?

7. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Yes, SVM can be turned off on the XBR.