What's new

Need some advice, 5.1 or 7.1 for my room? (1 Viewer)

lowcel

Grip
Real Name
Bruce
First off, hello. I've been browsing the forum for a couple of days and have already learned a great deal. However, now that I have posting priviledges I would like to ask a couple of questions.

First, background. I competed car audio for years but never really got into home theater. I quit competing car audio about six years ago and haven't really messed around with it since. I have never had what I consider a "real" home theater system. I've had a couple of HTIB but nothing big.

I recently purchased a new 55" LCD tv and decided to upgrade the surround sound. That was a flop, it was actually a downgrade from what I had. The new system I purchased was a Panasonic SC-PT960. I was very dissapointed in it, the previous Panasonic I had was much nicer.

Anyway, I went out a couple of days ago and purchased a new system. I bought Klipsch F-3 towers, C-2 center speaker, S1 surround speakers, Sub-12 subwoofer, and an Onkyo TX-SR606 Receiver.

Now for the room description. It is approximately 30 x 15 feet with an opening on one side for my kitchen and a set of french doors on the other side. I also have a sectional couch that is up against the rear wall. I am including an illustration showing the room the best I can.

Now for the questions.

1) Approximately how high should the speakers be.
2) With the couch being all the way back would going 7.1 be any benefit over 5.1?
3) If I go 5.1 would it be alright to point the rear speakers towards each other?
4) Is a subwoofer RCA really a benefit over a regular RCA cable?
5) I have a PS3 I am using for blue ray, would you recommend purchasing a seperate dvd player?

Thanks for your time, any and all advice is appreciated.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Welcome to HTF. I'll take a shot at answering your questions....

1. If you mean surrounds, a few feet above ear level.

2. I would stick with 5.1. You really need some distance behind you to use 7.1

3. Surrounds should be on either side of the listening area and pointed toward each other. In 5.1 systems, the surrounds are on the side (not in the back as a lot of people think). However, with your seating you may want to experiment a bit to see what works in your room.

4. Yes. You don't need a super expensive one (NO MON$TER). If you don't have a sub cable, you can use a video cable (the yellow ones you get with vcr's). Check out monoprice.com for good inexpensive cables.

5. The PS3 should play DVDs just fine.

Other things you can try.... Move the sub into the corner and place your fronts closer to the screen.
You want the sound anchored more to the screen and you may get better bass with the sub in the corner.

Part of the fun of this hobby is playing around with things to see what works best for you.

lowcel

Grip
Real Name
Bruce
Great, thank you very, very much for the reply. You just saved me at least $300 since I'm not going to need the extra two speakers.

1) Yes, surrounds. Sorry for not clarifying.

2) I thought the distance would be a problem, thank you for confirming.

3) Great, sounds like my room should work fine since I can't really get the speakers behind the listeners.

4) Wow, that is much cheaper. I found a 25' cable for $7.40 compared to the $48 for the Monster cable. I'll just use a standard cable for a few days until I receive the one from monoprice.

5) Thanks. I still might get a new dvd though, I imagine it would be much simpler than using the PS3 for everything.

My TV is above a fireplace and the way the hearth is I'm not sure if I can get the speakers much closer together without causing everything to look pretty bad. I'll try to move things around some though. I know it isn't all going to fall in place right away, good thing I have a good bit of patience.

One last question. When hooking up the surrounds on the Onkyo do I hook the speakers to the surround or to the rear hook ups? I can't find anything in the manual for hooking it up 5.1.

Thanks again!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bruce,

Welcome to our forum. I hope you find a new home here.

Thank you David for answering his question.

lowcel

Grip
Real Name
Bruce
Thanks again David, guess I got lucky and did it right. :D

Ronald, thanks for the warm welcome.

I got everything hooked up now I need to figure out how to get everything tuned. I've got started on it but I've got a long way to go. I also need to figure out where one vibration is that is driving me nuts. I still need to figure out where I am going to mount my center speaker as well. Actually now that I think about it I've got a long way to go. I guess it's a good thing I'm not in any hurry. :D

lowcel

Grip
Real Name
Bruce
I ended up upgrading receivers, I traded in the 606 and went with a 706. I am very happy with the upgrade. I've now got everything done except for building a permanant stand for the left speaker. I still need to do some additional tuning as well.

Please ignore the Dr. Phil picture. I just turned the tv on and that just happened to be the channel it was on. :frowning:

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Oh sure... We know you're closet Dr. Phil fan.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Very nice setup. That is an original use of the fireplace. I love it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lockheede
Recent bookmarks