Need som HT suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Townsend, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Keith Townsend

Keith Townsend Auditioning

I'm putting together a new home theather. My first purchase will be a TV. I'm considering the Toshiba 36AF41 and the Sony Wega. Any feedback on the two would be appreciated. I'm also, considering buying a boxed HT solution. I really don't need a new DVD player because I brought a pretty expensive one a few years ago. It's not progressive but it has composite, component and s/video out and a couple other nice features. I wouldn't be opposed to adding a DVD Player to the bedroom. I'm looking to spend about $500 on the Boxed HT system. Also, I'm looking to spend about $1200-1300 for a TV and I'm open to alternatives. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith Townsend

Watching DVD's are what Tigers do best you know.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

As long as your TV has a 16:9 mode, you'll be fine. At this stage you don't need a prog-scan DVD player, since you won't have prog-scan capability with the TV. Now, about that HTIB option: What's your budget? It's always possible to assemble an economical system that will serve you well without having to resort to an HTIB "solution."

3. Keith Townsend

Thanks for the reply. My budget for the HT is about $500.

4. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

If I were spending $1200 on a TV, I would look at the 36" WEGA. Check it out (but don't buy it) here: http://www.sonystyle.com/electronics...d=10001&type=p
    There is a cheaper version (kv-36fs13) that doesn't have PIP, which will save you about $100 if you don't care about PIP. All WEGAs (that I know of) come with the 16:9 enhanced feature that makes DVDs look very nice, even without progressive scan and an HDTV.
    I would avoid the HTIB if you can. Start with 2 bookshelves and a center, then add rears and a sub when your budget allows. We have Paradigm Titan mains ($200 for the pair) which are an amazing value and the Paradigm CC-170 center ($200). There is a good sub at Best Buy for about $160 (Sony SA-WM40) and for rears I would suggest Paradigm Atoms ($180) or 2 more Titans. This setup WILL sound better than most (if not all) HTIB solutions, and will only run you $800 for all 6 speakers.
    In fact, if I only had $1800 total to spend, I would spend $800 on speakers and limit my TV budget to $1000.

5. Keith Townsend

Mark, good stuff. I'm debating on dropping My TV budjet and spending more on speakers and a receiver. I currently have a 27" Magnavox. The dimensions of my room are 13X21. My TV will be seating on the 13 foot wall and viewing will be about 10-12 Feet away. The room can get completly dark. My appreciation of movies has out grown the 27" Magnavox. So, the question is should I go with a 32" Flat Panel display which gives me a nicer picture or a 36" Tube that gives me more picture? This is one of the hardest purchasing decisions I've had in a long time.

6. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

We went with a 27" Wega (27fs13) since it will fit in our entertainment center and it wasn't much more than other 27" tvs ($549). I just received it today so I can't say yet how much more I like it vs. the old 27" GE we were using. So far, in the 2 hours I have used it, I am very impressed with it's out of the box performance. Once I get it calibrated and connected to everything I expect it to perform very well. Basically the word on the WEGAs is that they give a great picture once they are calibrated and they have a nice list of features (even the fs13 models are well-featured), but they are expensive and Sony does have some quality control issues (something like 6% with problems).
    If I were going to spend around $1000, the choice gets harder. I have heard good things about the Toshiba Cinema series sets (36AX61 for example) and you can get 36" for $850. I don't think it has an enhanced 16:9 feature though. At about the same price ($899), you could get the 32" Wega (32fs13), which gives you flat screen and 16:9 feature but you lose 4 inches. People also say good things about Panasonic (especially the Tau HDTVs, but that is quite a bit more expensive). The Mitsubishi sets are mentioned as good values also.
    If the flat screen isn't too important to you, look for a good 36" with the 16:9 feature. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding one at around $1000. I think if I had to decide between 36" and 32" flat screen, I would choose the 36", especially for viewing more than 10 feet away. But I only just got my Wega, so I'm not spoiled yet. [​IMG]
    I'd suggest spending some time in the Display Devices forum and maybe post the TV part of your question there.
    Also, go to Best Buy and spend some time doing side-by-side comparisons with their TVs. Remember that they aren't calibrated though, so don't assume it will look the same in your living room (it will probably look better). At least you will get an idea of how much you like the flat screen over the regular screen, what features are important to you, what the boxes actually look like (if that is important to you), etc...
    One thing you do NOT have to worry about is sound. If you get a nice center speaker, it will sound better than any TV speakers in this price range.