Need smallish new TV for under $1,000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff S, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Jeff S

Jeff S Auditioning

Well, my 6 year old 27" Sanyo's picture is losing stability - it shakes and jumps around a fair amount. It's annoying the hell out of me, and now my wife has just started to notice it too (funny how women don't tend to notice these things as soon as men). I may try to have it repaired, but I also may spring for a new one.
    My problem is this:
    My 27" just fits in my entertainment center. I could probably fit a bigger TV in there, but it would be a tight fit. Maybe if I removed the doors and some other stuff...
    Eventually, I want a very large 16x9 HDTV set, but that will have to wait for a bigger house (5-10 years). So in the mean time, I want the best quality (HDTV?) TV I can get for under $1,000 that is in the 27" - 32" size range. Obviously, the less expensive the better - my wife's idea of a fair amount to spend for a new TV is probably $500 at the most, not $1,000... [​IMG] She can probably be convinced, however.
    Forgive me for not doing more homework and just throwing myself on the mercy of the group, but I'm more or less looking for a good place to start my search. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    - Jeff Stock

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Can't go wrong with a JVC 27"-32". Great picture before a calibration and so easy to do the squeeze trick on. The D-Series models are supposedly higher quality with component video inputs. All other models should have at least s-video in.
    hope this helps.

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

There are very few 27 or 32 inch HDTV-ready or at least 480p capable sets under $1000. Check out Samsung, since that is the only one that comes to mind at the moment. As for non-HDTV-ready sets, check out the JVC D series, Toshiba A series and the Panasonic D series. In addition, these three manufacturers have flat tube variants - I believe the Panasonic is the SX series, then there is the Toshiba AF series and the JVC I'Art series. And there is also the Sony Wega series, of course. You may want to go to www.pricescan.com and just see what pops up for 27-32 inch tvs $1000 and under, and start your search from there.
    good luck,
    --tom