What's new

Need small subwoofer advice (1 Viewer)

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
I have a very tight spot in my entertainment center (lower cabinet) in which to place a subwoofer (due to WAF). Can't be any bigger than 14.5"H x 16"W x 18"D. I have never had a subwoofer before, but I am assuming I will need a sealed unit with front firing in order to get the sound out of the space. And it should be magnetically shielded as well.

So far I have found only the following:

Titanic Vance D. Kit
Def Tech ProSub 200TL
Def Tech ProSub 100TL
others?

Possible options:
HSU VTF-2 (down firing, is this an issue in the entertainment center?)
Polk PSW303 (with "slot load venting" - what is that?)

Room is medium sized with a Klipsch 5.0 set-up & Marantz SR7200. Listen to 50% HT and 50% classical music. Prefer clena over "boom."

All opinions welcome! Thanks in advance.

Chris

david stark

Second Unit
Most of the REL Q series should fit in that space and I think they are all sealed.

I have a REL strata sub and I'm very happy with it. It is a downward firing sub and I have no problem with it in my home cinema setup. Also the RELS have seperate high and low inputs and seperate controls for both you can set it up for music and movies independantly.

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure what your entertainment center is like, but yes, putting any sub in there might cause problems with vibrations and with lack of sub focus as it might want to be located directly coupled to the floor.

TerryHenson

Agent
Buy a HSU VTF-2, throw a towel over it and call it a ottoman or end table. Keep it out of your cabinets.

Terry

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
You could check into the Energy EXL-S8 I think it would fit your size criteria and is a great performer, though it may be hard to find since I dont think Energy sells it seperatly anymore though they have a newer version of it thats a very similar size and probably performs slightly better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks