What's new

need small case for HTPC (1 Viewer)

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
I put together a home theater PC tonight from a old PC I had. Nothing too powerful just a old Pentium III with a ATI S-video out card and sound blaster Live. The problem is the current case I have is too long to fit in the cabinet without turning it sideways and requiring it to be moved to power it on ect. Does anyone know of a small ATX form factor case. The main dimension I have trouble with is the length (distance from front of case to the back the case in order for the door to close allowing for the cables to be plugged in would have to be under 14 inches The width could be 20 and same with height. All I need is one internal bay for my hard drive, and a 5.25 ext for CD drive and three slots in the rear for two PCI and one AGP card. Any recommendations for anything of this size the cheaper the better, I don't need a power supply with it, I got a few spares laying around.
Thanks,
Mike

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Since the ATX form factor is 12x9.6". I highly doubt you'll find a case that'll squeeze into 14", yet alone with cables sticking out of it. Even though the length uses the 9.6" orientation of the motherboard, cases still need to make room for the drives that would be in front of it. You would have to find a case that has the drives high enough so the they could actually overlap the motherboard on the top. And since you also have to acount for add in cards for the PCI slots that they would have to be above, it would have to be pretty tall. Even a mATX case wouldn't probably be found that size. You'd have to get a SFF(small form factor)case and those are designed with the motherboard and are usually cube shaped. Shuttle makes a popular one. But it's basically almost buying a new PC. http://www.shuttle.com/hq/product/product_b_amd.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks