What's new

need serious help please.... (1 Viewer)

wojtekC

Auditioning
I am buying my father a brand new Home theater setup, but there is one problem.
I have no clue what to buy because i am new to this.

Friends said this would be the best place to ask so here i go...

my budget 1100$

i looked on some things and what do you guys think of this.

Yamaha RXV-1500 Receiver

and Sony Home Theater Speaker System (SA-VE367T) speakers

as i stated on top i have no clue whats good whats bad thank you friends.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
If it were me, in that price range, I would get a Pioneer 1015 receiver, SVS PB10 ISD sub, and that should leave you about $500 to get a 5 speaker package from JBL, Athena, etc.

That setup would KILL the Yamaha/Sony speaker set up you mentioned.

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

I believe your math is a little off. The receiver alone will cost at a bare minimum $400.00, and you might not get a warranty at that price. The SVS is $429.00 plus shipping. The math isn't adding up. Yes it would be better than the Sony setup, but it's over his budget!

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Yeah, I noticed that too just as soon as I hit the submit button.

Are there any halfway descent speaker packages for about $300 that should still trump the Sony set. I'm sure there has got to be.

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator
If you are willing, take a look a used equipment. There are many people out there who simply upgrade their speakers, receiver, etc., just because they have caught the "bug." The equipment can look and sound new but cost around half of what it did new. Now, you have to be careful with what you buy, and who you deal with. You could put together a very nice system at your price point. You can try eBay, Audiogon, and of course here! Good luck!

wojtekC

Auditioning
Pioneer 1015 receiver, SVS PB10 ISD sub, and that should leave you about $500 to get a 5 speaker package from JBL, Athena

this sounds good anyone know any great sites with good prices?

i know it will be a bit over my budget but o well if i spend this much i might as well add couple more bucks to get something good.

I know i can buy used equipment from ppl but i am just not experienced enough with this so i wont bother .

but yeah if anyone else has any ideas etc.... that would be great and those web sites for the items on top would be much much much appreciated

THANK YOU

wojtekC

Auditioning
wow just visited the jbl site geez those prices are way to much for me ouch 340$ for a speaker..

al lout

Stunt Coordinator
wojtekc,

Instead of pio 1015, you can get the pio 1014 to save you a few bucks. I'm running the pio 1014 right now. It's an awesome unit. I believe you can get it for $350 shipped (from authorize dealer). How is the system going to be use? movies or music? I would invest more on the sub like SVS PB10 if the system is leaning toward more on movies watching. Otherwise, I will invest more on the 2 main speakers. Good luck. Budget yourself and remember to include the shipping charges (those do add up quite a bit if you purchase them online). Happy hunting...

Al,

P.S. Check out JBL, Energy (goodguys have very good price on them)...

wojtekC

Auditioning
yeah i am going to go with either the 1015 or 1014 pio its still a debate . To tell you the truth i will only use the setup for movies etc. and yeah im going to get that sub you mantioned . hey what do you think of

Polk Home Theater Speaker System (RM6005) best buy has like a sale going on now i think for them .

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
How big is the room this is going in?
Is he really into crankin it up?
If small to medium and he doesn't really like it hammering, and it is his first, then I would suggest the Onkyo770 or the step up from that. This is a great package that would be easy to use and set up. Plus it sounds great for the price. You can always upgrade around the receiver as well, if he finds he needs more. I have heard the lesser 570 in a friends medium size room and was impressed and it wasn't even set up all the way.
Something to think about maybe.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Chris..

Get him the Onkyo 770 system. Would make an awesome present to recieve.....

wojtekC

Auditioning
i bought him the onkyo 770 system today and am on the way to pick it up.

i hope that its what ppl say .

BTW does the reciever have all the dts/etc etc.... in it? like any other?

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
The receiver that comes with it is a "true receiver". It is not some stipped down thing that is hard wired to the speakers. It's feature set is current and like I said you can add different speakers and subs down the road if he needs to.
I would be surprised it if you didn't enjoy it.
Let us know how he/you likes it!

ps. where did you get it from and where are you located?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Even the sub that comes with the 770 system is pretty darn impressive. Your father is going to be really pleased.

wojtekC

Auditioning
i live in new york ande i bought it from circuitcity tomorrow we will pick it up. I cant wait

wojtekC

Auditioning
ok guys just instaled the okyo 770 system and WOW. I blasted the star wars episode I pod race and was blown away :)

but here is couple of questions i have

Is there any dvd's out there that have the 6.1 cause all i c are the 5.1's

What should be the distance between the 2 front speakers from the tv set? My room is a medium size .

And this one is regarding the 770 alone you know how you can change the settigns to things like dts-neo 6 etc .Well, when i change it the reciever is showing me that its enabled and working fine but as soon as i put in a dvd it goes away . What are these settings really used for?

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator
Make sure you setup each speaker using the Radio Shack SPL meter along with your favorite calibration disk. Search around if you have questions about doing that.

Here is a list of DVD's in 6.1. There are many out there.

http://www.dvdtherapy.com/dts_list.php

If the DVD doesn't have a 6.1 soundtrack, which is the DTS-Neo 6, the receiver will probably switch to Dolby once the movie starts playing.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
You might wanna make sure to go into the dvd players' menu in the audio section and see if it is set to output DTS. Then make sure you are using a digital connection to the receiver.
You don't have to have a 6.1 dvd to get 6 or even 7.1 surround. If a dvd is recoreded that way, or says DD-EX or DTS-EX means that the movie has 6/7 discretely recorded tracks. The receiver will "derive" them on a "noraml" 5.1 dvd, by telling it in the speaker setup menu that you have 6/7 speakers. Make sure (if possible) that you have it set to auto detect the signal on the receiver.
READ THE MANUAL to see what DTS NEO 6 and such, really is.
As far as how far the speakers should be, make it a triangle. BUT the distance between the front speakers should be 1/3 less than they are to you when you are watching/listening. So if the the distance to the left/right speakers is say 9 feet, then they should be 6 feet apart. 12 away from you, 9 feet apart. Get it?
And I'll add this for free...
If you have liberty to place the sub in various locations. After you have the speakers set up, then place the sub on the couch in the listening position and play some music with good bass and then crawl around the room (along the walls mostly) and see where it sounds best. Tight and tuneful, (for music) but yet strong enough for your movies. Pick the place that has the best balance and then put it there and then listen. Then set the level to blend it with the rest of the system. Unless you plot and graph your room, it's an easy, simple way to get pretty close to exact.

Good luck and I am glad you like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks