need seperate DTS decoder

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JesseBro, Dec 10, 2003.

1. JesseBro

JesseBro Stunt Coordinator

i have a Technics SA-AX7 and now need the DTS decoder to go along with it.... when it was originally sold it did come with a seperate decoder and the package was called the SF-DX7. there are still a few the decoders floating around, but i was wondering what other seperate decoders were out there b/c i cant find another one anywhere

2. Steve Lumbert

Steve Lumbert Stunt Coordinator

I have the SFDX7 package. The Technics decoder (SH-AC500D) is very nice. There's always a few out on eBay but they seem to be appreciating in value. I could have sworn you could have purchased one a couple of years ago for under $100 and now they seem to go for $150+.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Millennium used to make one. You might do a search and see if some are still available.

DJ

4. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Rotel made two in the late 90's
    The RDA 985 and 986.
    Try a search for those maybe.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Don't you need a Dolby Digital and DTS decoder? If you don't plan on using digital cable or sattelite with Dolby Digital, perhaps a better solution would be a DVD player with built-in decoder. Any of the SACD or DVD-A units would quality.

6. JesseBro

ok.... well i do NOT want to spend much money on this decoder b/c i will upgrade sometime next year to a new receiver with all the newest formats.... but for now i guess im going to look for a new/used DVD player with built in deocoders and 5.1 analog outputs. any ideas?? ive been finding some cheap ones in the $50-$75 range.....would this get me by??

7. JesseBro

8. John S

John S Producer

Yes.. You should be good to go with that setup.

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

What kind of brand name is jWIN anyway?

I think you're fine with that DVD player, but I'd personally lean towards a more established brand name.

10. JesseBro

its cheap i know......their website is pretty well laid out i suppose though....

11. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

Hey there Jesse... I am familiar with your receiver, the AX7 as well as the AX6 and AX920 which are similar. (I own an AX920, actually).

Yep you can also go with a DVD player with built in DD and DTS decoders (5.1 analog output).

However, the "jWIN" idea might not be the greatest. Many DVD/SACD and DVD/DVD-A combo players have built in DD/DTS decoders.

So instead I would suggest a good brand name combo player as above. For example, you can buy a Sony DVP-NS755V (I have one of these) for less than $200 US which has built in DD and DTS as well as multi-channel SACD capability. The NC685V is also very similar with built-in decoders but is a 5-disc changer...

Those Sonys aren't the only choices though. You can look into other combos like DVD/DVD-A combos as well. Some standard DVD players will also have built in decoders. Note that not every combo player will have built in DD/DTS decoding; and, also not every player with built in DD decoding will necessarily have DTS decoding as well...

I find a surefire way to tell is to look for the DTS logo on the DVD player. If it says "SURROUND" below the "dts" logo on the unit then it will have a built in DTS decoder, if it says "Digital Out" below the "dts" logo it will not. Since I've never seen a DVD player with a built-in DTS decoder that didn't have a built in DD decoder it is a safe bet to go with a "brand name" player with the "dts/SURROUND" logo and 5.1 analog output on the back. [​IMG]

A small caveat about 5.1 DVD players... I would point out however that there is some sacrifice over having either a DD/DTS receiver or the AC500D external decoder. Well with the Sony DVD players with 5.1 output at least (I dunno about other brands). The sacrifice is that you can't adjust surround,sub, and centre levels "on-the-fly". The only way to do them is in the setup menu of the DVD/SACD player and they can't be adjusted while a movie is playing [​IMG] You have to stop playback and then adjust the level (if you need to during a movie) and then resume. Good thing the Sony models I referred to have resume play (and multi-disc at that [​IMG] ) but it is still a hassle compared to being able to press buttons on the remote to adjust levels while the movie is playing...