Need SACD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Al H., Mar 17, 2004.

1. Al H.

Al H. Agent

WHats up. I want an SACD player, preferably Denon. My budget is pretty slim but I want my components to match. The most I can probably squeeze is 6 maybe $650. Is there more CD's coming out with the SACD format? Im willing to buy player used from dealer... or shouldn't I?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

The only SACD players that Denon has available currently are "universal" players (DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, and SACD). In your price range, the player to look at is the DVD-2200 at $600. See www.crutchfield.com for more information. I had this component for a couple of weeks before upgrading to the '2900, and the '2200 is a very solid player.

3. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

I'd also consider the new Yamaha s1500 universal which lists for $399 and has DCDi to boot.

Keith, is there any info good or bad you may have heard about this new Yamy? It is very light at 7lbs and that may be of concern but the feature set and price looks promising.

4. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

Probably can't go wrong with the 2200. In the march/april issue of Perfect Vision, they rate the 2200 number two in the reommended buys in the $300-$1,000 players. The $999 Arcam placed first.

My Denon 2900 didn't make the list.

5. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

From what I've discovered the Denon 2200 is the best option. It has the 80htz crossover, which is good, depending on your speakers I guess. I haven't heard what the Yamaha will be set at, so to me that may be the deciding factor when I decide between the Denon 2200 and the new Yamaha, anyone know what the SACD/DVD-A crossover will be in that thing?

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Your components do not need to match. Other than shared remotes, there is no benefit to this. None of my components match: Sony 222ES SACD, Denon 2200, Marantz 8300.

If you are looking for SACD only, I'd either wait for the new ones from Sony or look for a used 222ES or 555ES.

I am very happy with my 2200.

7. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i bought a 2200 last night. i'm very happy with it. the limited number of sacds that i already had sound great; dsotm and several of the dylans are all that i have, now, but i suspect that will change very, very quickly.

i also picked up the last 2 steely dan releases on dvd-a last night and they, as you'd expect, sound super.

8. Al H.

Al H. Agent

To me John G., my components do have to match unless I cant find anything worth purchasing in the same line. As far as Denon goes, I feel there is more than enough models in each of their lines to please just about anyones budget and anyones needs, so thats why I prefer keep the player a Denon. Im a little anal when it comes to my my HT setup, Im sorry. I was thinking of getting the 2200, but I wanted to see what you guys would come up with, because I can read all the reviews I want on products and still be skeptical when I comes down to the actual purchase. This is why I signed up to HTF so get real people reviews with actual hands on. Thank you so much guys for your advice!

9. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

well, all i can add is, if you can afford it, get the 2900

10. Al H.

Al H. Agent

How much more is the 2900 and what else does it feature.

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm more picky about getting a good component, and if that means it isn't from the same manufacturer, so be it. I like Denon's receivers, but found Marantz to be better to my ears, so I went with them. Techincally, they are the managed by the same holding company, so in a way they are the same manufacturer if you want to be anal. [​IMG] I have no problem with your preference, just stating my opinion. [​IMG]

I agree, if you can push the budget, the 2900 is a better audio player, and according to the Secrets review, is also better with video, despite more or less the same video section (2900 has larger power supply, better separation of signal, better chassis, etc...), but the 2200 is definitely no slouch.

2900 is MSRP $999, 2200 - $599, but both can be found for less. Do a search on this comparison, it has been covered extensively.

12. Al H.

Al H. Agent

I thank you John for your honest opinion in regards to the selection of components. Quite honestly I never had the pleasure to personally review a Marantz product, iv'e heard of them for a long time, even my father had one back in the day that got handed down to me when I was like 9 years of age. As far as the player goes, I most definetely cant afford the pricetag of $1000 for the player as of right now so until then I think ill go with the 2200. I'm not the only one here at home that gets to buy toys for themselves, you know what I mean. Appreciate the info J.C.

How do you quote a portion of past replies to place in your new reply? Off topic, im new to this forum[​IMG]

13. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

to quote something, copy and paste the text which you'd like to quote between this:

[ quote ]text you wish to quote[ /quote ]

but remove the spaces before and after the brackets

so, without the spaces, it becomes:

14. Mike Gl

Mike Gl Stunt Coordinator

I have the Denon 2200 and have been impressed with both the video and audio performance. Most owners and reviewers rave about the 2200. It is a great value, but there are a few other users on various forums that have expressed reservations about the transport noise.

The transport noise from the 2200 is significantly louder than my old Toshiba SD6200. The 2200 unit I have also vibrates with certain DVDs. My theater seats are about 8 feet from my DVD player and the noise is audible from them on quiet passages. This may be a problem with my particular 2200, but my dealer's demo is also displays some of the same problems in operation. This motivated me to trade-up to the 2900, as KeithH did.

I suggest that you try the 2200 before you buy, if possible.

Also keep in mind that most manufacturers will be introducing new players during the next few months. This may offer some new interesting new choices or discounts on previous generation DVD players in your target price range.

15. Al H.

Al H. Agent

[​IMG] Thanx Scott, you da man.

16. Al H.

Al H. Agent

Do you think the 2900 will come down in price after the introduction of these new players? This year?

17. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

doubtful. those willing to pay a grand for a good player will still be willing.

18. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I think that if you are looking for audio only SACD, and do not need the player to do BM, then you can look for some used Sony 555ES players. They usually go around $550-650 on AGon and Ebay. If you need video and/or DVDA or in-player BM, you would have to go with either the 2900 or the 2200 from Denon, or the Yamaha 2300. Those are thebest options that I can think of. Good luck