What's new

need RPTV buying advice Mitsubishi, Toshiba, or Hitatachi? (1 Viewer)

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
Ken,
Thanks for the words.

Levesque,
Thanks for the edit.

Bruce,
Thanks for a great post.

Your post above this one really hit the nail on the head. Each set had it's good and bad. What people need to figure out is what's important for them, and chose the set that's best suited.

For the DVD and HD watcher, I would say the Hitachi is the best.

For a cable watcher, Pioneer is probably better because of the stretch.

Mits and Toshiba make nice sets too... The Mits has a better DVD picture than the toshiba, but again the toshiba has a better cable picture than the Mits.

What is important to one person, might not be to another and vice versa.

Bruce I think you did a great job of explaining that, and in a non bias way.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Ken. Did I said, anywhere in my post, that I was talking about MFusick? It was only a general rant about poster we don't know a clue about. I wasn't attacking anyone.

But people read those posts. And they are the one spending the money. Not you. Not Mfusick, or any other poster giving advice across all the boards.

When I attack somoene, you know I'm not afraid to put a name. There was no name there.

The "Spot" had a big problem with sellers plaguing the threads not long ago. And they had to stand out hard against it. And ban a lot of poster that were looking clean, but were sellers. That's it.

It was a general advice to anyone thinking of buying a new set. You are the one spending the money. Go out. look by yourself. Take everything posters are telling with a grain of salt. Particularly those that are insisting to much.

There is alot of people that hides behind a keyboard...

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi guys!

Im just getting back from the HT Cruise and did a few calibrations while in Florida (including Mike Knapp's Mits).

Im with the group that most sets are fairly equal once calibrated but each brand does have its own strengths and weaknesses even post calibration. Pioneer sets, for example, have wicked bad HD geometry problems which includes image centering. Once you spend a few hours fixing the HD mode, no problems what so ever (usually).

Ive never been a big fan of Hits (historically). However, over the past year they have made huge leaps. When I attended the ISF class last February, about 6- 8 Hits engineers and marketing persons were in attendance. They were listening and learning. Ive heard GREAT things about this years Hits line up but have not yet had the chance to tweek one out.

Thanks to the guys that have edited their posts. Lets all remember to keep it civil around here. Id like to think that we are all friends.

Regards

Gregg

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Im with the group that most sets are fairly equal once calibrated but each brand does have its own strengths and weaknesses even post calibration
Amen Gregg!! That's what I'm trying to convince people on different forums. That's EXACTLY my position. That's why I jump on threads where pepole are pushing really hard only one brand. I completely agree here.
Thanks.:D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Well, you won't be attacking anyone here at HTF.

And, Ken, perhaps you were a little too pointed too. As for magazines, the idea is that the editorial and advertising departments at each publication work independently. And if you'll read the reviews, criticisms as well as praises tend to be dished out in equal measure. I take exception with some of what I read, but there's no room for that in this thread.

Moral of the story: Once professionally calibrated, well-designed RPTVs assume a general similarity in their performance characteristics. ISF calibrators will tend to tell you they prefer sets that lend themselves more readily to calibration. One of the ISFers here at HTF will extol the virtues of Mitsubishi in that regard, for example.

Ken Stokes

Agent
Apologies extended to all, I was just having one of those days. I had to fire a salesman that I really liked and I think I just wanted to be mad at someone:angry:
I try very hard to stay away from posts that that declare absolutes. I really hate the "x absolutely kills y" threads that are so prevalent.
Many people took the time to help me when I started in this hobby. The best recommendations I received were the ones that encouraged research and intelligent decision making. I think sometimes that we want to prove we made the correct purchase decisions so we make statements that could be misinterpreted by those less informed. Then of course we get in bad moods and make overly zealous, accusatory, silly posts, sorry again.
Ken

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
Ken, Levesque,Bruce, and others thanks for taking the time to post. I am leaning toward the Toshiba since my purchase is going to be at Bestbuy. I am still working on the wife. I really would like to take the time to thank everyone that has taken the time to give their opinion no matter what it is. Sometimes we feel so strongly about something that we say things that are absolute. That is ok. I would rather hear that than no opinion at all.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Brian, I'm happy for you! Hope you will enjoy your new set. Making the decision is always the toughest part with all the great sets on the market now. It would be a lot easier if there were only one brand. But there is so much choices because there is so much different tastes.
It's a big investment. So you need to take your time. Go out to look at all those great sets with your wife. Implicating her in the decision making is the easiest way to "win" her approval.
I said toughest part, but i forgot your wife...you still have to convince her... :D
Have fun.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I am "wearing her down" Yesterday she came in the room and my five year old and myself were watching tv with binoculars on :)

SteveDev

Agent
Brian, I can gaurantee that you're wife will like the Toshiba stretch modes if that is the way you're heading. My wife was concerned when I told her we were getting a wide screen and tried to explain it to her, then when she saw cable on a Panasonic (I think it was in Full mode with no remote to change it!) she was concerned that everyone looked short and fat.

But she loves Theaterwide 1 mode on the Tosh.

Definately go with a reputable dealer though since if the set arrives DOA you'll want to know you can return it ASAP!

Regards,

PBC

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I completely agree with SteveDev. My wife did'nt want to hear about looking at her normal SD programming on something else then our Sony Wega 4:3 in the other livingroom. But after showing her the Theaterwide 1 mode on the Tosh, she now always hang-out in the HT with her friends. I think toshiba did a great job on those stretch modes. :D. I'm even thinking of selling the Sony, because it's only accumulating dust now...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks