What's new

Need room dimensions. (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The wife and I plan on getting out of the apartment life and building our first house. Since we're starting 'clean slate', I was wondering if anybody had any hard & fast rules for the proper room dimensions.

Room 1: rectangular Living room/HT. One row of seating against the back wall (a couch). I'm planning on a 5.1 system (space is limited and I don't think the better half wants to decorate around six feet of void behind the couch) with a recessed "TV enclove" for puting the SDTV, and a motorized drop-down projection screen for movie night. (a front projector mounted on the rear wall above the couch shouldn't cause any problems).
What are good minimum dimension for a 5.1 setup? (lets say the SD TV will be 32", and will be replaced with a 50-60" HDTV when HDTV becomes the norm) I think 80-90" for the FP screen should be big enough.

Room 2: basement 2-channel room. This room will be in the basement (we're shooting for a small energy efficient upstairs), and doesn't need any WAF. one seat, two speakers. Since I don't plan on winning the lotto anytime soon, I shouldn't need enough room to give a pair of AvantGarde' trios breathing room, but big enough to get the full benefit from some full range towers.
Since I know less about 2-channel acoustics than I do about surround acoustics, I don't even know what shape the room should be (rectangle, square, trapezoid?), and since it'll be underground, I'm probably limited to 8 feet of ceiling max.

Like I said, nothing is set in stone yet (concerning the finished structure), so any advice would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks