Need resell advice

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Christpher_S, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Christpher_S

Christpher_S Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guys,

I bought a Shiva and PE 250W plate amp a couple months ago, planning to build a sub for my living room. Since then my plans have completely changed and I'm dedicating an extra bedroom to home theater. Since the attic is above the room, I think I might want to try 2 or 4 Tempests IB instead. What would be the best way to recover as much as possible of what I payed for the Shiva and plate amp?

If I build a box with one of the Adire plans could I sell it for enough to cover my time and the additional money for materials? I have a pretty well equipped wood shop at home and I could do an unfinished MDF box without too much effort. Or, should I just take the hit and get what I can for the still new in box equipment?

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Chris

2. Mitch N

Mitch N Stunt Coordinator

Depends what you think your time is worth. If you can cut all pieces, and test fit for accuracy, then there is no reason you shouldn't be able to sell it for a reasonable amount. However, your idea of reasonable and the buyer are almost always on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Personally I'd rather just sell the items individually. YOu probably won't lose too much. Perhaps take a loss on the shipping or sales tax if applicable. Often I'll just take some 10-20% off and cry while no one is looking.

3. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

Just take the hit and sell em. Building a box will waste your time and limit your market. People use shivas in a lot of box types/alignments and not everyone will want what you build. Totally unused I would price them at 80% of new.

4. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Sell the parts, few people outside the DIY world will buy the sub unless they ordered it themselves custom built as they prefer to have a name brand attached to it.

5. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

Why not incorporate the shiva into your ib plans by adding three more of them? It would be cheaper than buying 4 tempests.