What's new

Need recommendations on mid to hi end DVD Player (1 Viewer)

Richard Gray

Stunt Coordinator
I have looked at several lower priced models, even buying a Sharp DVp-740U which was a big mistake. It freezes all the time. Today I returned a Toshiba 5 disk tray model 3755. It was a nice enough player with lots of bells and whistles. Progressive Scan and Component outs. The shortcomings...failed to play some of my CD-R, skipped and stuttered on a few choice DVD's. Then failed to load some of my favorite CD-R's (Easy CD-Creators Stuff!). The last straw was a very slow loading/noisy tray.

I am looking for a very good straight DVD player. A Plus would be with either SACD or DVD-A. I don't really want to pay over $500. I looked at several Sony's with SACD and progressive (the 650 for one) but they are getting a bad rep. Can anyone suggest a Samsung, Panasonic or JVC model? Should I go with a Pioneeer Elite 47, Denon 2802...? I a m feeling so confused by all of this.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Richard,

What type of television do you have? If you have a 16x9 HD-ready set, then a progressive scan DVD player with aspect ratio control and built-in zoom/scaling is something to consider. Panasonic's RP-91 offers this feature and produces a great picture.

If you own a 4x3 set, this feature is not really important.

Richard Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,
All good point.My set is a 4 x 3 tube, Sharp S480 32", using either Component, Analog or S-Video. I really don't see much difference between the S-Video and the Component hookups. I would like to upgrade in a year or so, but only to a 36" Sony Wega HDTV something in this area. So, right now progressive is not a must, but a nice to have for later.
And, yes the RP91 Panny is on my list to look for. But so are the Sony DVP-N500 and DVP-N650 5-disk tray because they offer SACD.
Question, what is the sense of having a 480p DVP if you intend on going up to a 1080i capable Widescreen?:) ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Question, what is the sense of having a 480p DVP if you intend on going up to a 1080i capable Widescreen?
Well, since there is no such device as a 1080i-capable DVD player, 480p is the best you can get right now. Any HD-ready 1080i TV should also be able to handle a 480p signal.

Your current TV will not benefit from a progressive scan DVD player. However, if you plan on upgrading to a Sony Wega, you should be able to use the 480p video signal at that time. You will not need the built-in zoom/scaling feature of the Panasonic RP-91, though, since the Sony is a 4x3 set.

The RP-91 offers DVD-Audio, while Sony's players instead support SACD. If you want to get both formats, the Pioneer Elite 47A provides this support, but will cost more than your budget of $500. You may want to check out the music titles available in each format to decide which you would rather have.

Another option would be to purchase a DVD-Video/Audio player, and a separate CD/SACD player (Sony offers several models in different price ranges). You could probably buy both players for under $500, since Sony sells a low-end SACD/CD player for $179.

Richard Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Scott,

I guess my silly comment really should have been that I'm looking for the best DVD Player (with SACD or DVD-A) for the money is easy unless you haven't decided on what type of TV you want. I still haven't made up my mind to jump up to a big screen HDTV. At 32 inches in a room that is only 12x14 there doesn't seem to be enough room for a 40+ incher. Thus, sticking with a regular tube style TV leaves more in the budget for fully featured DVD player and or SACD/DVD-A player.

I have looked at the Toshiba 4700 (W/DVD-A), and a Sony model ??650(w/SACD no progressive) and both are pretty fine overall. I'll put the Panny RP-91 on my look at list today.

Larry B

Screenwriter
To all:

It has been a pleasure following this thread both for the insights and the overall demeanor.

One additional limiting factor of both SACD an DVD-A, is the inability to use an external processor. When (or more correctly, if) this is allowed, more "audiophiles" (myself included) will embrace these technologies.

Larry

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Richard:

If you're looking for something to keep you going for a while with your current TV, I recommend the Marantz DV-7010.

This is an interlaced player, with S-video and component outs. accessories4less.com is selling refurbs for about $300 plus shipping. They come with a 1-year Marantz warranty.

I bought one of these and I'm glad I did. Great picture and great audio. It will tide me over until I get a 16 x 9.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Richard,
I noticed you are on Huntsville. Is there a local HiFi Buys store nearby? I know there is one in Birmingham.
If yes, then head over and buy a much-discounted Sony 9000ES for $799 and get a great DVD player and a great SACD player to boot.
:)

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
Richard,

My first choice would be the Toshiba SD9200 bought off of E-bay. They average about $540 and is one of the best players that you can buy for the price. If you take a look at the reviews I think you'd be impressed.

If you're anything like me then you'll probably have the DVD player longer than any TV. I was seriously considering the SD9200 but opted for an Arcam DV88 at twice the price.

I only went with the Arcam because I already had one of their receivers.

Richard Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,
There aren't any places around here sells Marantz DV-7010 or anything else Marantz :-( I did look into that one as an excellent upgrade for my ailing Sharp 740U. I have looked on the 'net' but no luck so far. I was looking for the Denon 1800 but it's not all that much better than mine.
Lee,
Yes there is a Tweeter (Hi-Fi Buy) here, and they do have the Sony 9k. I got a chance to watch a 10 minute short take there in the High End room. That is where I choose my Yamaha RX-V1200, over the Denon 2802. They are a bit high priced, but have an excl-lent trade up policy. And right now I am looking into a Sony 16x9 HDTV. But, it is at least year off. Unless I can get a similar model on u-bid.
Michael,
I haven't even looked at the specs on a Toshiba SD9200. But, I will look into it now. Is that a close out model??
:D :frowning:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I would stay away from a Toshiba player if you want reliability. They are the worst at this as they tend not to play all your discs. More often that not you will see Toshiba players mentioned as the ones having problems.

Although they don't look highend or much of nothing, I'd consider the new JVC players. They produce a very nice picture. The Sony 900v has SACD and is nice as well and would be somewhere around your budget.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Richard, I've seen the JVC changer at Best Buy on a number of occasions. The build quality concerns me. I just don't like the mechanics of the seven-disc changer. Also, JVC components tend to be lacking on the audio side. Given the other quality players you are considering, I would pass on the JVC.

The Toshiba SD-9200 is a close-out model, as Toshiba will be replacing it with the '9500 later this year. I've been impressed with the '9200 upon listening to it in stores, and the build quality appears to be very good, but there are reliability issues with the unit, as Shane said. A search of this site will yield at least one thread dealing with a noise emanating from the transport.

In my opinion, the recommendation for the Sony DVP-S9000ES is an excellent one. My brother has this unit, and it is a wonderful component. Build quality is superb, as is the audio and video performance. If the player has any shortcomings by today's standards, it is the fact that it does not play multi-channel SACDs. If you can live without that, give the 'S9000ES a serious look. It is a steal for $800 at Hi-Fi Buys/Tweeter. If you want multi-channel SACD, look at the 'NS900V, as Shane suggested.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Richard:
Try www.accessories4less.com
This internet outlet is based in Orlando. They sell mail-order. All of their Marantz stuff is factory reconditioned. They are Marantz authorized, meaning you get a one-year warranty plus a 30-day guarantee should you get a unit that's DOA.
The DV-7010 doesn't offer DVD-Audio or SACD, but it is a quality interlaced DVD player that could satisfy you for the time-being.

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
Richard,

How soon will you be making your purchase? There are a handful of us trying to locate a Philips DVD962SA to check out and try ($599 list, but was on-line on Yahoo shopping for ~$475). Its a model that was announced earlier this year at CES and only recently showed up on the Philips website. Progressive scan w/DCDi (Faroudja), dual laser for optimum Redbook, multi-channel SACD w/bass management... no DVD-A. It's suppose to have most of the performance of their SACD1000 and DVDQ50 (hopefully none of the bugs of the Q50).

Chip E

Screenwriter
Richard,
That room of yours may not be as small as you think... I have a 46" Mitsubishi 16:9 high def set in a room that measures 10'6" X 11'2" and have a Sony S9000ES dvd/sacd player connected to it. Works pretty darn good! :D

Richard Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Chip,
The reason I m sticking with my 32" tube style TV is economics. About 6 months ago the plan was put into action, putting together a decent but not hoigh-end HT set up. For three months I searched this and other forums for recommendations on what would be a great bang for the buck setup.
This is what I have so far, starting from scratch.
Sharp S480 32" dube (component inputs) $399.
Sharp DVP-740U DVD player. $119
Yamaha RX-V1200 Reciever. $799
JBL ND-310 floor standing main's L/R. $180 each - $360
JBL N-Center $149
Hitachi 4 head stereo VCR+ $89
Acoustic research Cables all around $129
Digital Cable hookup with digital box
Total so far $2044
Upcoming additions:
Rear L/R and Center speakers ???
High grade DVD Player with/or in addition to an SACD or DVD-A player.
P.S. I would like to go up to a larger 16x9 HDTV1, but the $$ just isn't there, YET!
What I have found so far, the TV is excellent for bang for the buck . The DVD Player is a freezer type. It does play CD-R's and some MP3's but it freezes too ofter. And If I do step up to a HDTV it will require a much better DVD Player.
As for the speakers, I like them for regular stereo and they are working fairly well for HT but I am going to let them break in.:) :thumbsdown: :D :angry:

Chip E

Screenwriter
Richard,
Ok, cool.. your doing all the right things by investigating your price range. Good luck! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks