What's new

Need recommendations on buying a new tv....(please). (1 Viewer)

thomasross1

Auditioning
Real Name
Thom
I am ready to replace our old tv and need some help so I don't get left in the technology dust. Every salesperson (oh how I use that term loosely) I have talked to has such varying positions on they type of tv to buy it makes me crazy. I know there are a ton of variables to why they want to sell a certain brand or model, and sometimes Its based on their commission etc. The very worst thing I have dealt with is the big box stores hardly know their products at all. I know I am generalizing but you know what I mean. So I am asking for your help in the interest of time. I would like to purchase something by the end of Feb. I have read a ton online but there is nothing like personal experience. I have the sound system well covered so I need to know what you think the best tv/technology is for the money right now so it won't be totally obsolete in a couple of years. Size does matter, 60 inch or plus would be great, although I need to keep the budget "around" $3000 and that includes mount and cables. Btw, I do not believe in expensive cables either, I have personally heard the difference between $50 and $500 cables and heard no audible difference to my ears. Thinness or weight doesn't matter as much as picture quality either. Also, and this is very important, I HATE the "soap opera effect". I want a movie to look like a movie. So what do you think...LCD, LED, plasma? I like 3D but is it worth it now or will it be improving i.e. no glasses etc soon so wait?? What brands would you consider? I am open to all suggestions and truly appreciate any help you can give me. Thom Ross

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Have you considered DLP? IMO, it's the best bang for the buck. Mitsubishi still makes them.

thomasross1

Auditioning
Real Name
Thom
Thanks Steve. My brother in law has an 82 in. Mitsubishi that's awesome and under $2000 now! I hear you have to replace the bulbs after so many hours though. I will do some research. I wonder if they have 3d models as well. Thom

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The sales people are just like the people here: They all have their own opinion on what type of TV is best. Some people prefer DLP, some LCD, some LED, some plasma. You need to decide which technology looks best to you. Yes, you do have to replace the bulbs on the standard Mits. DLP sets. BUT they also make the Laser models with no bulb. What is your room like, is there a lot of ambient light in the daytime? Do you like to watch TV with a lot of lights on? Do you want to wall mount TV? If so, DLP is out.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Jim Mcc said:
The sales people are just like the people here: They all have their own opinion on what type of TV is best.
Everyone has an opinion, but I don't believe I've ever been flat-out lied to by HTFers the way I have been by salespeople in some big-box stores. I was sad to see Circuit City go. I bought my current set there and made clear to them that a factor in my decision was that when their salespeople didn't know the answer to a question, they would say so. The people at the other local well-known electronics retailer wouldn't hesitate to make things up. And some of the stories they came up with were just bizarre! (My personal favorite: "Blu-ray and HD-DVD are battling each other now, but there's a new third format out of China that's going to replace them both in a year or two.")

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I really like the Panasonic 3D Plasmas as I have recommended in a few other threads. As stated above it does take looking at a verity of solutions to see which one is the best fit for you and your room. Mits have an add-on 3D piece to communicate with active shutter glasses. LCD's are cheaper to buy then most wall hangable TV's.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The current Mitsubishi DLP sets are all either 3D ready or 3D capable out of the box (using DLP Link glasses, available at Amazon for around $50/pair). The 3D ready sets require a converter box that you can buy in a kit with a couple of pair of glasses, around $300. My 73-inch Mits 73838 was $1599 and DLP Link capable out of the box. Remember that you will need to factor in the cost of a stand in the final price. Mine ended up being expensive, but it was nice furniture. There is a Mitsubishi-brand stand for $400-$500. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Hi Thom, I recently had to replace my sony sxrd 70" tv that i loved 'cause the chip died. It was 4.5 years old but fortunately i bought the 5 year warentee. The business i bought it from sells Mits and they made me an offer i couldn't refuse and got the 82 inch top line model a month ago. It has excended all expectations and all doubts about DLP. The bulbs are much cheaper for this set than the sony. 3D looks great, much better than I also expected. It is the top model in the 82" line. I watched the 92" model, big is an understatement. :rolleyes: I findit much brighter than many say DLP sets are. It is not as sharp as the Sony was but hey it is very close and the DLP chip is well tested. Plus the price was right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks