What's new

need recommendations on a universal remote... (1 Viewer)

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
as the hedline says, I would much appreciate any advice on a universal remote that would work w/ my gear...I nedd to be able to program in several buttons/commands that i am CERTAIN most universal remotes dont have on the faceplate...how does a "learning" remote work? my Samsung TXM3096 (?) hdtv ALWAYS begins in "wide" mode & since we are viewing standard 4:3 television most often (no HDTV for us yet thx to the absolutely DISTURBING high price of receivers), I always have to hit "pmode" (or some such button) to get to our preferred "panorama" (stretched) view...is there a remote that can learn this obscure button/function?
also keep in mind that i need to keep it below 50$ max, preferably much less...it will also need to be able to master rudimentary functions on a Cyberhome DVD 500 player, a Pioneer receiver, & an RCA satellite receiver...

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I have a RCA 'Kameleon' universal remote (Its a blank screen until you touch it when it becomes a backlit touch sensative remote!). Its a bit above your budget (I think I paid $55) but maybe you could find a simpler remote for less $$$?

To learn a function a remote overwrites a button that you normally wouldn't use. For example: To switch inputs on my reciever I overwrote the numerical keys 1 - 5 on my reciever settings because I do not use numerical keys on my reciever remote anyway.

Tim K

Second Unit
check out remotecentral.com for reviews, pictures, and discussions.

My first universal remote was a Cinema7 Learning remote from OneForAll (the makers of the kameleon remote). They make most of the learning remotes for RadioShack. It cost me like $20, controlled 7 devices, could learn from existing remotes, and you could enter discrete codes listed on the OFA website (such as direct access to receiver modes, seperate on and off keys, etc.) It also allowed for creating several macros which allowed you to have the remote perform a series of steps with the press of one button. I don't know if they still market that remote, but check out their site for all of their current models. Also, check radioshack b/c they have slightly different variations of these remotes made exclusively for them.

Check it out...

http://www.oneforall-int.com/comfiles/index2.html

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
what's your budget? for about a hundred bucks, you can get the oft-touted MX-500. do a search here, see just how often that darn thing is recommended. also, read the review over at remotecentral.com.

it's a great remote. one of it's major strengths is that you can label the lcd buttons to whatever you'd like. so, if your remote has some funky command with some weird name, the mx-500 can handle it.

put another way, it has replaced nine of my remotes. i literally *never* use the factory remotes anymore. any command i need is programmed into my mx-500.

i really can't recommend it enough...

Tim K

Second Unit
I now use the Philips Pronto Neo which also replaced 7 remotes....I would highly recommend it if you are in the market for a touchscreen remote. If you prefer hard buttons, its not for you. I know you said your budget was around $50...but you can get a factory refurb with full warranty for $75 at ecost.com.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ooops...just realized your budget was around 50 bucks. feel free to totally ignore my prior post. :b

or...

save up some extra moolah and get an awesome remote!

;)

GeorgeJM

Agent
The URC Cinema series is good. I have the 8811, costs about $35 or less if you shop around. It's a nice remote, but you'll have to label the buttons yourself or remember what button does what action for different components. For the price it's a very good remote, however, I'm going to get an MX-500 because many of its buttons can be labeled right on the remote via an LCD display. Unfortunately, out of your price range at about $100.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Anthony, FYI: If your post had asked a question along the lines of, say, "What is a universal remote and how are they used?," it would have been perfect for the Basics area. But since you're asking for specific recommendations in a purchase, I moved it here. JB

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
I'm with Ted. :) If you can, save up for an MX-500. I own 4 of these for 4 different rooms replacing 14 remotes which I've never used since doing the upgrade. In addition, because I can control my tivo and a few other devices from the remote rooms, it was easy to clone those devices onto each one of the remotes. Before having these, one had to go grab the tivo remote from the tivo room which was a pain. In addition, the remote offers a lot of flexibility in creating macros and labeling buttons. I couldn't see going back to how it was before.

cheers,

--tom

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I too am one of many many many satisfied MX-500 users. It's fairly easy to setup, highly flexible, easy to use and fits in the hand as slick as can be. IMO, it's the best bang for the buck button-based remote out today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks