What's new

Need recommendations on a good mattress (1 Viewer)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
God, there are sooo many differnt kinds of mattresses out there.
Which is actualy good for you?
Which dont cost an arm and a leg?
Which are usually sold locally?
Thanks brethren

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I was just gonna post a question like this. I need a bigger bed. I've had the same one since I was a kid and it is just too small. How does one shop for a bed? Places to avoid?

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I am sitting here in pain. I have already been up for two hours because I could not sleep. For two days I have had no back pain... now I do. I am thinking it is my mattress. So if anyone here has a recommendation I to would be interested in hearing about a mattress that might help.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Mattress preference is pretty personal... Woohoo !!!!

My old roomate was a mattress salesman early in his career and he claims the industry is pretty rife with "sleazy tactics" (no offense to mattress dealers).

The markup is incredibly high, sometimes over 50%. The reason they offer such great ad prices with "Price Match" guarantees is that the mattress distributors will not make the same bed available to 2 dealers in the same geographic area. i.e. - you will not find 2 dealers with the EXACT model anywhere near each other. Their may be 2 dealers with mattresses exactly the same, but the name will be slightly different so you cannot price match.

We shopped for mattresses a few years back, so maybe this practice has changed, but probably not. Anyway, if you are a decent barterer, you should be able to get below sale price. We ended up with a Masterpiece Motif Pillow Top (King Size). Fantastic mattress, but insanely expensive, over $1500. But I do sleep wonderfully... (when my wife's not snoring.... DOH !!!)

Good Luck !

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Yes, mattresses are very personal since you spend approx 8 hours a day on them for rest and an ever reducing number of hours on them for playing....

I am an fella in his 50's who has a bad back and had to have a good mattress.... bought mine from Sleep Fair Mattress Warehouse... one of the pillowtop Serta. They WILL negotiate even though they run good sales. Mine was 1500 and I got it for under a thou.

I have some older friends who swear by the chambered air mattress... Select Comfort or Nautilus. I imagine when I replace, mine or upgrade it will be to one of those also. They are kinda pricey buy I believe they are well worth it for the comfort.

I reccommend that you buy from a reputable dealer who has an upgrade policy (sleep on your mattress for 30-60 days and trade up for full allowance). Stick with a good name.... Serta, Sealy, etc....... go ahead and spend some bucks, it's worth it......

Dave Reichert

Stunt Coordinator
If you live in the Denver area, I highly recommend Denver Mattress Company. I have one of their pillow tops in a queen, amazingly comfortable and still provides excellent support. There's damn near no "caving in" either I guess you could call it, where the matress sinks in on one side. I've flipped mine maybe 3 times in the almost two years I've had it, and no problems, and I weigh 300lbs so there's a lot of weight on the mattress. I wanna say I paid $400 for it too, great price IMO.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
We have, from a good futon dealer, 2 layers (3" thick) of natural latex foam (the best bedding... you can try out and order the exact hardnesses) topped with a 3" organic cotton/wool futon. It's amazingly comfortable. My inlaws have a select comfort and ours blows it away. Consider it like High-End bedding. Total cost was 1100: the foam was 600 and the futon 400. We have a great frame made in canada, really simple, and only like 180. Every trip we take, we can't wait to get home and enjoy our bed again.

Kevin Farley

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
I highly recommend Sealy. You may pay a bit more than another brand, but the money is worth it, especially considering its a product that you will use every day for the next 15 or so years.

My advice in getting the best price. Sealy only makes one line of mattresses. Every store that carries Sealy products has different names for each product in the lineup. This makes it really hard to price match for Joe Buyer. What you need to do is try out all of the Sealy mattresses in the store and get the specs on the mattress you like most (thread count, coil count, pillow top or not, size, etc...). Write these specs down. Now, go to any of your favorite discount mattress places or the internet and find the mattress with the same specs and find the lowest price. Get a quote, print the page, or whatever you have to do to document the price and specs of the Sealy mattress.

Now, go to your local Mattress Firm. Show them the price and they will beat it. Mattress Firm is owned by Sealy and they can give you the lowest price.

My wife and I bought a Sealy and we love it.

Good Luck!

-ikiru

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
I originally made this recommendation in another thread and I will again here. I purchased a mattress from Omaha Bedding Company (a brand I hadn't considered even though I live in Omaha) after some rave comments were made on the Oprah Winfrey show. This mattress is used in the Four Seasons hotel in Chicago and so many of their guests requested it they even offer it for sale in their gift shop, though I bought my queen at a local furniture store for $500. This mattress provides great support and at the same time is very soft, like momma bears bed from Goldilocks. I can't rave enough about how well I've slept since I bought it.
One thing I considered when shopping for mattresses is the warranty. I've always thought that this is a good way to gauge the durability of a product since a company is unlikely to warrant longer than they expect the product to last. Simmons, Serta and Sealy all warrant for 5 years, at least on the models I looked at. Omaha Bedding Company warrants their mattress and box springs for 10 years. 4 years later and I'm still extremely satisfied. If your local stores don't carry this brand I bet they can order it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks