Need Recommendations for Low-Buck DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BarryNS, Nov 5, 2001.

1. BarryNS

BarryNS Stunt Coordinator

With Christmas approaching, I'd like to get the parental units their first DVD player. A bare-bones, simple to operate unit would be ideal, as they have no need for component colour, progressive scan, etc etc, and I have a desire to keep this purchase on a low budget! The only requirements are reliable "glitch free" playback of Region 1 discs, DTS compatibility, and an optical digital output.
    I was thinking about one of those budget APEX players, but then I've read some not so flattering comments on the APEX's abilities to deal with some of the more "troublesome" discs out there.
    ------------------
    -Barry

2. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

I picked up a Panasonic RV-31 for ~$160 a few months back. My local Sears price matched a price from an internet retailer with no questions asked (they just compared the model numbers to make sure it's the same player). Good player for a good price without the wait. Works for me. Hope that helps,
    Andrej
    ------------------

3. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

I'd like to second the recommendation for the Panasonic RV-31. I picked one up two weeks ago from a local retailer that also has an online presence: www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com. They had it for $154, which was the lowest price I could find for a new, factory sealed unit.
    Since then, I've gone through almost 10 DVD's, all rentals, without a hitch. This is my first player, mind you, so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I am more than pleased with this unit.
    -Brett.

4. Jonathan_M

Jonathan_M Stunt Coordinator

I too recommend the RV-31. I've had mine for several months now and have no problems with it whatsoever. For it's price range, it's features and quality can't be beaten!
    I use it's component video out to feed my Toshiba direct-view. Image quality is very, very good.
    ------------------
    "We're hosed. We lost the remote."

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Panasonic CV51 5 Disk Changer here.. Purchased at:
    http://www.etronics.com
    Brett DiMichele
    My Home Theater Site!
    [email protected]

6. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Well, to jump on the bandwagon, I've got an RV-31 on it's way from Amazon.com. They have a $15 off coupon, $180 prices (on sale) and free shipping when I ordered last Thursday. $165 shipped!