1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need recommendations for HTB... room layout enclosed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike__D, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Hi all,
    For X-mas I thought I'd buy my girlfriend a HTB. I was thinking of the Sony DAV-S500. The reason I'm choosing the unit is it's very small size, and it has everything she needs.
    One of the main obstacles though is her room layout. I made a rough sketch of it. The Red circles is where I'm thinking of placing the small speakers. As you can see by the room, it's FAR from perfect for Home Theater.
    Any recommendations on speaker placement and equipment will be very useful. Keep in mind I REALLY don't want to start stacking seperates and buying large speakers. I was thinking of the Sony for it's simplicity.
    Here's the link for the pic:
    Room Layout
    Thanks!
    Mike D.

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

When will you two either be marrying or living together and where will you be living? No sense in buying a system now if you will be moving in together or living together in February. As for the layout. Just one word. YIKES!!! [​IMG]

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    With the surrounds that close to the listener, they are most of what you will hear. I have a somewhat similar setup (sans bathroom). I have the surrounds near the rear wall, a few feet behind the couch, not pointed at the listener. This gives some diffusion and good sound for HT, but not the best for multi-channel music. I listen to much of my music 2ch though.
    I would recommend that the two main speakers as far apart as possible (at LEAST 5-6 feet) for front separation and imaging (which is why corner setups are not ideal). My corner setup is not 45deg to the room, but rather, just angled towards the opposite corner, with the couch parallel to it and a chair along side of it.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

That looks a lot like my living room layout(in fact almost exactly)I use a Kenwood HTB with great results, my mains are 6 ft. apart(yes they protrude into the kitchen opening a little bit but they look and sound good.
    My sub is behind the entertainment center and my surrounds are pretty much equal distance from the listener.
    This is the family room HT, I have my own selfish little dedicated HT room.
    Also I recommend looking at the Kenwood HTB-504
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
    [Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 13, 2001 at 04:41 PM]

5. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

off topic but was wondering what type of program you all use to create a layout like that. I would like to make & post mine for considerations. Thanks

6. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

BryanZ,
    I won't be moving in with her anytime soon. She lives just outside of Philly and I work near Atlantic City. That's a hell of a commute to do everyday! [​IMG]
    John & Sean,
    Don't think I can have the main 5-6 feet apart. She won't go for having the speaker protruding in the doorway. The Kenwood HTB looks like a great deal, but the speakers a bigger than I'm looking for and it doesn't include a DVD player. The Sony has everything in one slim design.
    Johnson_B,
    I used CoralDraw 10 to draw the floor plan, then imported it into Photoshop to add text and save it as a gif.
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Anyone else have any suggestions?
    Mike D.

7. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

I have a similar room set-up and I might suggest you put your surrounds at the ends of the couch. that way your sweet spot would be at the corner of the couch directly in front of the set. right now, your proposal would have one surround right on top of that sweet spot.
    as far as positioning the surrounds, make sure they are high up over the listeners head, or...
    I've heard that in some situations like this it works to have the surrounds close to the floor aiming up. I haven't tried it, but I've heard that this produces good diffusion.
    hope this helps.
    also, I like the little sony dream systems for their simplicity. They don't sound bad and are a bargain at the price. If your significant other isn't a tech-head she'll probably like this single box approach better than a full on separates system anyway.
    good luck
    ------------------
    zaphod
    end of transmission...

8. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

I agree with BradZ, put the surrounds at each end of the sofa to maintain a sweet spot in the middle of the sofa.