need recommendations for directview widescreen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Armand B, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Armand B

Armand B Auditioning

Currently i have a 19' tv that is about 10 years old and is about to go BOOM! I am looking to replace this tv with a widescreen directview. why a direct view? well .. main thing is that my fiance and i both play a lot of the PS2 on the tv. We are looking for something in the 27-36inch range.

We have seen and looked at the 30' samsung and thought it looked very nice.. Does anyone have any recommendations that might help me in the matter? which other models/ companies should i look into?

Thanks for the info in advance,

Armand

2. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Armand, my dad and I are currently in the hunt for a direct-view widescreen too. Samsung has a nice 34' set, but they did sell our nuclear submarine stealth technology to the Soviets during the height of the Cold War. I've also heard good things about the Sampo 34'. From the review I read, it doesn't have all the features and conveniences you might expect, but when properly callibrated it blows everything else out of the water.

3. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i don't have one yet, but whenever is ee the RCA 38" widescreen direct view it blows everything else in the showroom out of the water.

4. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

That's in the showroom. Have you heard the fan in your HT?

Loud! 24/7, have to unplug the TV too listen to music, and can be heard playing movies as well.

Did you notice that the TV can't do black on the sides? You'll get gray, not black, on the sides on the screen.

There are black vertical lines on the left side of this set that RCA does not 'see', therefore will not repair.

Both techs that came to my home saw the lines and I have seen the lines on all 5 F38310 I've seen.

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Armand,

Have you considered the Panasonic and Toshiba 34" 16x9's. These are the two I am considering.

6. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

The Tosh is nice. Looking to return the RCA for it. You can defeat SVM, or VSM on the Tosh site, in movie mode. But I don't belive you can change any other setting in movie mode.

Any help?

I have a Tosh 5700 DVD & am looking to get the fanless Tosh HD reciever. Hoping the three Tosh pieces will work fantastic together!

7. Armand B

Armand B Auditioning

Thanks a lot for the information[​IMG] I have to try and find a place that I can go and look at all these tv's. See which one has the best picture (crispest and cleanest as well as pleasing to the eye) if anyone has any mroe information please post it as i am always checking here [​IMG]
    thanks
    Armand Boivin