Need recommendations for a receiver $300 or less

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Iseman, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Steve Iseman

Steve Iseman Agent

I need to purchase a new receiver and need to know which one to get. I plan on purchasing better speakers later on. I need a receiver with dd5.1 and DTS. I would also like to have at least 2 digital optical inputs, but 1 optical and 1 coax would be fine.

I have two speakers that have built in subwoofers. Is there any way I can hook up two subwoofers to a receiver? Most receivers I have looked at only have one subwoofer input.

2. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

you may want to take a look at harmanaudio.com. The have refurbed Harman Kardon receivers for a pretty decent price. Like $200 for a refurbed avr120 with a full warranty. Good deal! Also, you can just get a splitter for your subout and that should work fine. Later.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

J - That's exactly what I was going to say!

I bought the AVR110 1.5 yrs ago for $300, lovin' it. The 120 for $200 (refurb, yeah, but so what - warranty) is an unreal deal.

4. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Harmanaudio also has the AVR225-Z (refurbed with full warranty) for $297--another superb deal.

5. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Actually it's the AVR-220z for $297. Still a pretty good deal, but you can get a new AVR-225z for $360 from jand r.com. Later

6. Lorenzo K

Lorenzo K Agent

Those are good deals, but if you are not interested in refurb equipment, check out the pioneer 811s about $299 plus shipping from etronics.com

7. Chess Martin

Chess Martin Agent

Pioneer VSX-D811S is about $315 shipped.

8. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I second Lorenzo and Chess suggestion

9. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Check Out the Panasonic SA-HE100 it will decode all the "NEW" formats & has the 6th Channel amp. built in for the rear center speaker & it has been getting good reviews & can be had for around $250 & it also comes in black or silver. Do a search on this board & you will get a lot of info on it. My 2nd pick would be the Pioneer 811.

10. Steve Iseman

Steve Iseman Agent

Thanks guys. The Pioneer looks pretty good. Is there a way I can get a close up view of the back panel? I checked out the AVR110 and it didn't have the connections I need for the speakers I currently have.

11. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Steve, www.crutchfield.com has pictures of the Pioneer 811 front, back & remote plus all the specs. on it. But look on the net for a better price because Crutchfield tends to be on the high side. They also have info on over 60 other receivers including the Panasonic.

12. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas