What's new

Need recommendations for a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player (1 Viewer)

LincolnSpector

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lincoln Spector
I'm finally ready to jump to 4K for physical media (I've had it on my TV for awhile).

Can anyone recommend a good model?

My finances are limited, and I don't want to go over $300. Preferably less.

Lincoln

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The three most affordable choices, all considerably under $300:

LG 90
Philips 7502
Sony X700

They all do HDR and Dolby Vision, do great with upscaling DVDs and Blu-rays, and offer two or more apps.

The Panasonic 820 is also a full-featured player, but it's more than you want to spend.

LincolnSpector

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lincoln Spector
Thanks. I'm going with the Sony X700. Best user reviews.

I just hope that the remote control will also control my current Sony Blu-ray player. For a little while, I may use both together to test 1080 vs 4K.

The three most affordable choices, all considerably under $300:

LG 90
Philips 7502
Sony X700

They all do HDR and Dolby Vision, do great with upscaling DVDs and Blu-rays, and offer two or more apps.

The Panasonic 820 is also a full-featured player, but it's more than you want to spend.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Has Sony added an auto mode for Dolby Vision on the x700 yet?
No, much to my exasperation. I still have my Philips which also has Dolby Vision, but I like the information the Sony provides when you hit "Display." I wish the Philips had kept the information window from the 7501 model when they upgraded to the 7502.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Best Buy does have a Magnavox MBP-6700P 4K player for $129. The reviews seem to be good on it.
Stay very far away from that player - I've read that it has more lockups than the Sony's. It also required a wired connection for firmware updates, and has NO streaming options. It also has only one HDMI output, so if your receiver is not HDCP 2.2 compliant, you are out of luck, especially since it apparently has no other audio outputs.

There is a reason it is clearance priced at $59.99.....

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So how do you like the Sony X700 so far?

I'm considering it as my (previously unexpected) entry for playback on my 1080p setup after all the BF/CM-weeks sales got me buying a rather sizable batch of 4K discs... and given potential hiccups w/ disc authoring and manufacturing (that seems commonplace enough w/ new video formats), I probably shouldn't wait too long to own a decent player that can play them and ensure nothing's wrong w/ them even though I'll only be downconverting to 1080p/SDR playback...

I'd normally prefer a Panasonic player (just because they seemed more reliable in the past), but they're not offering any at this price range at this point...

The X700 seems like the best bet under $300 outside of perhaps an XBox One S... I guess I'd probably go w/ the XBox if it does better downconversion to 1080p/SDR on top of being just as good at everything else (sans SACD I suppose).

Thanks for any help...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks