Need recommendations for a $300-$400 HT receiver for a 4 ohm speaker

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Pete Whitley, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Pete Whitley

Pete Whitley Auditioning

Hi,

I posted this message once before but got few reponses.

I'm looking for a home theater receiver in the $300 to $400 price range. The catcher is that the speakers that I'll be using(Magnepan MMG, Green Mountain Europa, Bohlender-Graebener 520DX) are all 4 ohm and require a good bit of power to come alive. I'm new to home theater but have been into audio for quite a while so I want a receiver that has good stereo sound. I know it might be tough in my price bracket. A lot features would be nice but they aren't a priority, sound it though. I've read positive things about the Denon AVR-1803/1804. I'm not sure it will accept a 4 ohm load. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!(

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I don't think that your going to find much in that price range that will be able to drive a 4ohm load, and provide the quality sound you are looking for. Have you considered increasing your budget and using and external amp along with a receiver? If all else fails you might want to go shopping on ebay or audiogon inorder to save some cash vs. buying new.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Frank is right but if you keep the sound level to a very low level then you won't have an issue but most likely any receiver under $400 will go into clipping.

You are definitely better off either spending 2x as much or buying a cheaper receiver + a cheaper external amp. Even then I'm not quite certain that the cheaper external amps for that kind of dough will get you anywhere in the vicinity of good sound.

4. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    Consider a used power amp, such as the Harman Kardon PA5800. It's rated at 80Wx5 at 8 ohms, or 110x5 at 4 ohms. These are priced very reasonably on the used market, and can often be found for less than $350. In fact there's one listed at Audiogon (here) for that price (and no, I'm not the seller).

5. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

The only receiver I can see that would drive those Maggies for around $400 would the NAD 742. It's rated for 4ohm and 2ohm loads. The unit is only 5.1 though if that matters. It can be found for $449 here