What's new

Need Recommendations for a $100 Region-Free Player (1 Viewer)

Chris_A

Auditioning
Hi. I'm in the market for a region-free player to use as my primary player. I know little about these things so i'm open to any suggestions. I don't have an elaborate set-up, just a standard Toshiba--though I want something that will work for me if I decide to upgrade later to hi-def.

From what I've gathered so far it looks like both the JVC XV N412SL and JVC XV-NP10S would be good. I've also looked into the Phillips 642 that people seem to like but since I don't have much interest in playing DIVX and XVID I figure I can do better with the image quality.

Any recommendations would be appreciated-- Thanks for the help!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have a Toshiba 4900. You can probably only find it on eBay now. Requires a firmware hack to change the region setting.

If you're willing to go to $200 the current multiregion star is the Oppo DVD player.

http://www.oppodigital.com/

It also upconverts via DVI and has Faroudja deinterlacing.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
I just picked up the Daewoo 8100N which is a great looking player so far as far as picture quality goes. It looks great, was inexpensive, and even scored really well on the Secrets shootout benchmark. It also happenens to do some of the best Pal->NTSC converting I've seen and can be made region free easily at the press of a few of its remote control buttons.

Ronn.W

Second Unit

You would only want to go that route if you had a DVI or HDMI input on your TV. Component and everything else is fair to middling at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks