What's new

Need recommendations for $700 receiver (1 Viewer)

Donald Lagasse

Stunt Coordinator
My brother is looking for a receiver in the $700 range upon which to build his home theater. He is a music listener more than a movie buff but wants a HT. He has the PSB Image 6T's for mains... no rears or CC yet. He wants to purchase his receiver next. What do you recommend? Please keep your recommendations in the $700 range... could go an extra couple of hundred maximum for a "must have" receiver.
Thanks

Dennis Jacob

Agent
Is that for street price ie. internet purchase - or for an "authorized dealer" price? As an example, Denon 3801 - less than $700 on the net, to $1000 to $1200 from the A dealer.
Net pricing can save a bunch, but the A dealer's really push "warranty" down your throat.
I would look at the new Denon 3802, and other DPLII units that have yet to be released. So it might take a month or two for the new AVR to come out. What is his timing??
------------------

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Consider auditioning the 6.1 Outlaw 1050 for $499 plus shipping. I enjoyed it, and in retrospect, should have kept it. *Note that the 1050 does not have Dolby Pro Logic 2.*
If you must have all the latest features, you may need to look elsewhere.
------------------
SAM

Donald Lagasse

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. He is buying anytime now and maybe hold out for a couple of weeks. He'd make an internet purchase but he will want the full warranty.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Marantz SR6200 (MSRP $699) or SR7200 ($799). More than enough power, sound great and have everything but DTS discrete. 105W X 6 full bandwidth rated.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I think the best one out there in that price range would be The outlaw 1050, which is actually only $499.
Do a search for Yamaha and Onkyo as well.
------------------
Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
Could you pick them up for me?

Scott M

Agent
I got a quote from an authorized dealer for a Denon 2802 (not in stock yet) for $649. It has DTS ES discrete and Pro-Logic 2. It has most of the features of the 3802, less 20watts(90) and 32 bit converters(24).
------------------
-scott
[Edited last by Scott M on August 13, 2001 at 03:58 PM]

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've been having lots of fun with my Onkyo 696. It retails for $800; you can get it online for ~$700. Don't know if retailers sell it for $700. Two nice features, for me, are DPL2 and the on-screen display (setup menus shown on the TV). It's also got one of the better receiver remotes, if that's of concern.

Jon Shea

Auditioning
I just picked up the Marantz SR-7200 from Cambridge Soudworks for $749. Sounds great. Reiterating what John said, it's got plenty of power, a very useful learning remote, and 6.1 channels.. I love it.

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
My vote is with the Marantz SR-7200. It's got plently of power and if you buy it from a local retail dealer you should be able to get it for about $700.

Eben H.

Auditioning
Scott, where did you get that $649 quote? (Audio Buys?) I have had my eye on the Onkyo 696, but after comparing it with the Denon 2802 I'm leaning toward the Denon, mostly because it has a digital out (only optical, though) for a CD recorder (the Onkyo doesn't have a digital out).
BTW, I noticed that the Denon has adjustable crossover switching for a subwoofer, but what if my powered sub already has an active crossover?
Thanks,
Eben

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a Marantz SR6200, and paid $599 at Cambridge Soundworks (hifi.com). It has 2 optical & 2 coaxial in, 1 optical, 1 coaxial out, 7.1 in, 6.1 out, front inputs including S-vid, 105W X 6, DPL-II. It only has a fixed 100Hz x-over. I was expecting that 100Hz would be too high, but so far it seems to work just fine. I couldn't be happier.

Scott M

Agent
Eben,
Sorry I've been out of town. I got it at a place called Rand's Camera and HiFi in NJ. If you go to the Denon site it and put in 732 for an area code it will come up. BTW I've had a few people aske me this via email so I'm guessing it's the best price out there for a authorized dealer.
------------------
-scott

Kirk_W

Auditioning
I picked up a Yamaha HTR-5280 from Sears where it retails for $799. If I recall correctly I paid about $450 for it as Sears will price match internet prices. I just went to yahoo shopping, searched for that model, printed out the price, and picked it up. Food for thought
KW

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks