What's new

Need recommendations - DTV tuner/DVR and antenna (1 Viewer)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
We're looking to drop cable and save $1000/year. Between Netflix and the internet, there's plenty of content to watch, but I still need my live sports.

So I'm looking to add an antenna and an ATSC tuner STB, or perhaps a tuner/DVR. We're not planning to stay in this house much longer, so an external antenna's not going to happen. I'm looking for devices that not only have HDMI, but 1080i component video out and optical or coax for digital audio.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
antennaweb.org for your choice of antenna. Stay away from Terk since they are the Bose of the antenna market.

The ATSC DVR will be difficult. I know of none off the top of my head except TiVo. There may be some DVD recorder/DVR boxes but they aren't HD and the hard drive is very limited as it was designed for temporary storage before burning the show.

There are a LOT of ATSC tuner cards for the PC and some great software. You can probably build a dedicated box for what a TiVo will cost and then save on subscription fees.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I found one HD recorder, the ChannelMaster CM-7000PAL. Apparently, there's no subscription fee, and it's 2-tuner.

I know I could build my own box, but I'm not sure I'd want to. I'm not a big fan of the search engine here. Are there any good threads about tuner cards and DVR software for computers? I'm a computer tech, and I know how to put these things together. I just need some pointers and I can go from there.

This stuff also needs to be a no-brainer on the WAF front, which is why I was looking at ready-made solutions.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've been looking for an ATSC tuner/DVR recorder as well, and it looks like theres not much choice out there. Seems like nobody is interested in not taking our money on a monthly basis ;) So far, I've installed a yagi corner reflector up on my roof and I currently have HD programming coming in clear as a bell. I just need a close approximation of the amazing convenience my former cable company's DVR gave me. The Channel Master or a Myth TV seem to be the only reasonable choices. I'm almost looking forward to the challenge of building a Myth TV box, but I'd have to get a pc plus the tuner and I can't seen how I would do it for less that $600. So, the Channel Master it is! The Amazon reviews on the Channel Master are mostly positive, so I think I might jump on it. Any members use this piece of equipment?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks