1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need recommendation...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by MarcMCD, Mar 10, 2019.

1. MarcMCD

MarcMCD Auditioning

Marc
    Hi All -
    New here - thanks for having me. I recently took the jump to an Lg oled and want to feed it some 4K discs. I currently have an Oppo BD-105 which is a great unit for High res music and dvd/blu. However - it is not 4K and their 4K model is outrageously priced as it’s sold out....
    So - I’m thinking of keeping the 105 for its excellent DAC /universal drive and adding a 4K blu Ray player to the mix for 4K disc capability.
    Normally, I’d just get a new player but the Oppo is such a great music solution, that to match it with a separate component wouLd cost me much more than just getting a separate 4K player.
    So - recommendations for a great standalone 4K player for my new lg oled...
    And any other quips, ideas or experiences welcome.
    Thanks all-
    Marc

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Welcome to Home Theater Forum, Marc. As an OLED owner, I can tell you that you have some marvelous viewing experiences awaiting you once you get a 4K player.

You have four basic options to consider with your OLED: the Panasonic 820 (the most expensive of this group), the Philips 7502, the Sony X700 or the 2019 Sony X800 model which hasn't been released yet, and the LG 90. (There are other even more expensive options, but I won't mention them). All of these offer both HDR10 and Dolby Vision support, important if you have an OLED to cover all bases. They also each have a caveat or two associated with them so it's really just buyer's choice. Do some research and select.

3. MarcMCD

MarcMCD Auditioning

Marc
    Hi Matt - thanks so much! I’m thinking of going with the Sony x700 as it seems like a great 4K player and I have so many other bells and whistles on the 105 that I’d hate to pay more for something that duplicates many of them. Then it’s onto getting some discs! :)

4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I have the X700, and I haven't had a moment's difficulty with it though I know some people have had some freezing issues with it. I always wipe off a disc (even a brand new one which might have some manufacturing residue on it) with a microfiber cloth before inserting it into my X700, and I have never had a single hiccup with it.

5. MarcMCD

MarcMCD Auditioning

Marc
    Great to know! Thanks. I’ve heard great things and it seems to constantly be mentioned in best of lists.