Need recommendation for closed cans from One Call for PC gaming.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John Pine, Nov 24, 2005.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    But, have to use my One Call gift certificate to get them. They carry Grado, Sennheiser and Sony. Would like to keep them under $150. I already own a pair of Grado SR60’s, but the open design won’t work. I’ll be plugging them into my Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 system so they need to be efficient. I’ll be playing Doom3 & HL2 while roommate sleeps in next room. Any feedback?

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I've got the Sennheiser HD280PRO headphones, which go for $99 at OneCall. They can be a bit uncomfortable at first, but with proper adjustments, you'll get used to them. They block out sound pretty well, and the sound quality is incredible. There are more reviews at AudioReview:

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/sennh...4_2750crx.aspx

3. John Pine

John Pine
    Thomas thanks for the link! I'm reading the reviews right now.

Question? Are you using them connected to a stereo/receiver or a PC/portable unit?

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I have them connected through the computer speakers, which have a headphone jack. I also use them on my iPod.

5. John Pine

John Pine
    Thomas, I've read the reviews at your link and at Amazon. I went ahead and ordered at pair. I'll break them in and let you know what I think. Thanks for the tip! John

6. John Pine

John Pine
  7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Good to hear! Hope you like them.

8. Brian_Wh

Brian_Wh Agent

John,
    Good luck with your new phones, hope you enjoy them!

For both Thomas & John,
    I am looking to buy some headphones myself and have been considering a pair of Grado SR-60's for a while after reading many reviews/comments about their great sound and high "bang-for the-buck" factor. However, I am also considering Sennheiser HD280Pros. And to some extent, the less expensive Sennheiser PX-100's, which have received good reviews too. I want good, but not necessarily audiophile sound quality, thus my looking at these sub-$100 phones.

My usage would be for occasional music, movie, and gaming (Xbox and Mac), primarily for when my wife is doing grad work in the same room or is asleep. I would not be listening at ear-splitting volumes. Would the sound leakage with the SR-60's (or PX-100's) be enough to bother someone in the same room at reasonable levels? Portability is not a big concern for me now either since I don't yet own an iPod. I am open to either open or closed ear design and have done a fair amount of research on headroom, head-fi, audioreview, and amazon. What are your thoughts on the headphones I am considering?

By the way Thomas, who is the beautiful woman in your sig? Very nice.

9. John Pine

John Pine
    Rec'd my 280Pro's yesterday and I'm burning them in now. Haven't done any critical listening yet, but I was impressed with the clarity and imaging they offered. They are a just a little light in the bottom end, but I've been told that should improve slightly with usage.

Brian_Wh: I own the SR60's and yes leakage is an issue for someone in the same room, even at moderate levels. But, the SR60's are the best set of cans available under $100 if an open design is not an issue. Find a place to audition some!

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I know lots of people that own HD-280 Pro's (myself included), and they are pretty decent for what you pay for. They definitely don't sound as good as a pair of expensive open air cans but they never disappoint either.

11. Brian_Wh

Brian_Wh Agent

Thanks guys, I don't know if there are any places nearby that carry Grado, but I'll check it out. The Sennheiser's I've seen locally are generally the entry level models at places like Circuit City, so I'll have to keep looking for a better selection and someone who has models for auditioning.

12. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I've never tried the Grado's. As far as I can tell, leakage is not a problem with the HD280's at all.

You're the 1,384,260th person to ask me that. [​IMG]

Her name is Alexandra Maria Lara, best known in the United States for her work in Downfall (Der Untergang).