Need Reciever Advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Corey W, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Corey W

Corey W Agent

Ok guys...this is my first post so be gentle.
    I need some advice on Recievers. I was just given a 5.1 Setup from Acoutic Research for a christmas present. This is going to be my first Home Theater System. I need a reciever to power these suckers.
    What im looking for:
    Would like to keep it under $1000
    Would prefer Dolby Digital, DTS-ES 6.1 capable etc.
    Would like a Component Video Switcher built in that can handle 3 Component devices in and one output to go to my TV
    Other than that im at you alls mercy, The equipment i already have is as follows:
    Sony Wega 36FS12 Television
    Pioneer DV-414 DVD Player
    Acoustic Research HC6 Speaker system.
    Thanks for everyones help.
    Corey W.

2. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Both the Denon 3802 and the Onkyo 797 are good choices. Personally, I'm still trying to decide between the two. The Onkyo is THX Select certified but only powers 6 speakers; the Denon isn't and powers 7 speakers. They have basically the same features. From what I've been reading on the forum, it sounds like the Onkyo is more user friendly to setup. I believe the Onkyo will also pass a wider bandwidth through the component video inputs which is handy is HDTV is available to you. Unfortunately, it's not an issue where I live.[​IMG]
    Neither of these receivers will give you 3 component video inputs, each has two inputs. If you want to keep the price under $1k, you'll be hard pressed to find a receiver with 3 component inputs.
    The best thing you can do is go to a dealer and demo the receivers. Pick the one you feel sounds the best.
    Good luck.

3. Corey W

Corey W Agent

Just going to give this a kick to the top and also if anyone have links to reviews of any suggestions feel free to toss them up. My dad gets a pretty good amount of Home Theater magazines so im gonna be looking through those also.

Thanks again.

Corey W.