Need reciever advice + some general stuff

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matej, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Matej

Matej Extra

I am new at this whole HT thing and desperatly need advice on a reciever. I am looking for a reciever that wont break the bank- sub $600 (college student, so not a big bank-less is better) I would like it to have 6.1 DD.

I will be using it to run 6 klipsch promedia v.2-400 satillites + sub -yes these are their computer line. THese are 4ohm so there is concern about that.

THey are THX certified so if the reviever is too that would be a nice bonus but not necessary. If there is nothing in that price range, then if you could just point me into the nearest direction I would appreciate it.

Also connecting the sub might be kinda tricky so any advice on that is also highly appreciated.

I will soon have two complete sets of of the promedia v.2-400's that means 8 satellites and 2 subs. I am using 2 sats+ sub for my computer and 6 sats plus other sub for my HT. now the problem is that the normal setup has me hooking up the sats to the amp in the sub and then the sub is hooked into one of the sats and from there the whole system hooks up to the computer using two lines. However I will be hooking six of the sats into the reciever and then I am still trying to figure out exactly how to get the sub into the system.

Thanks for all the help

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

The Klipsch Promedia subwoofer doesn't have a sub input and the drop off frequency of it may be around 45hz. I did testing with their 2.1 promedias and the quality is pretty good, but the sub can't hit very low.

The Klipsch promedias are THX multimedia certified which is quite different than the HT certifications. I see no point in buying a thx certified receiver and playing them through "computer" speakers.

4 ohms means little resistance on the receiver you'll be using if you plug those satellites into the speaker outs on the receiver. I really don't know how that'll sound.

My concern is that you will be unable to connect the sub-out on the receiver to the klipsch sub so you won't have that discrete 0.1 bass. (But even if you did get those low frequencies the Klipsch sub isn't capable of playing them)

I'm also wondering what you'll do for a center channel, and that you'll probably end up wanting to upgrade to bookshelfs/floorstanding speakers instead of using those Klipsch satellites.

But, to get it all to work with a 6.1 receiver you may have to connect the mains to the sub, and the sub to the L/R front of the receiver. Then connect the center, surrounds, and back channel satellites to the receiver. You won't be able to use that 0.1 sub-out on the receiver until you get a real HT sub.

3. Matej

Matej Extra

any suggestions for a reciever? also I think I can use a y connector to get the sub to go to the LFE out through the main speaker control; I think?!?!

Thanks!!

4. Keith Ro

Keith Ro Agent

Sounds like you're doing a lot of fiddling around to try and turn some computer speakers into a very mediocre home theatre system.

Instead of spending $600 on a receiver, you could pick up a decent home theatre in a box like the Kenwood htb 504 for less. Or get an under $300 receiver from Pioneer, Kenwood etc., and then a modest 5.1 speaker system.

I don't think you'll get a good 6.1 system for $600, but I think you could probably put together a nice little 5.1 package for close to that...

5. Matej

Matej Extra

Well I already have the speakers so I am already comitted to it at leat for the short run. I am also trying to look on at a larger timframe. I can always upgrade the speakers later as well as the sub. Since this is my first system I doubt I can discern anything less than a substantial difference in quality. The $600 price tag that I spoke of is a high end figure for me. I would like to get a reciever in the $200-$300 range. I am going with 6.1 because it does not cost me any more in terms of the speakers. I already had a set of 4.1's and got the other one cheap on e-bay. I figure if I get a quality reciever now I can work on upgradin my speakers in the future. I will start with a sub and move on from there. Any help on a reciver would be greatly appreciated. I just want something I can build on I should not have to have any speacial features other than 6.1 and a LFE out jack. Maybe I am still aiming too high

6. Keith Ro

Keith Ro Agent

Inexpensive DD EX receivers are relatively new beasts. Here are two in your price range:
    http://www.dealtimeshopping.com/DT_a...d_receiver.htm
    http://www.federalstereo.com/pionvs61chan.html
    People will quibble with this, but in general the sound quality from even cheap mid-fi receivers is excellent. Truth be told, in blind test situations, most people can't tell a $250 receiver apart from $10,000 worth of seperates. Also with feature sets evolving so quickly it's very difficult to future proof when buying receivers (i.e. If you'd bought a receiver costing two or three times as much 3 years ago, you probably wouldn't have DTS or Dolby Pro Logic II, let alone DTS NEO, EX, ES etc.). So I think there's a real case to be made for not spending a lot on a receiver.
    If you're having trouble getting the computer sub working, consider the Sony WM-40 sub. Do a search for it in the speaker forum, and you'll find that most people here seem to agree that for the price (

7. Matej

Matej Extra

thanks for the advice

however if someone could recomend a reciever that can be used with 4ohm speakers and has 6.1 DD DPL II would be apreciated cause I watch a lot of VHS still-a lot of my collection is still in that format. Priced in the under $500 range would be lovely.

8. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

I don't see why everyone is knocking the promedia's so much - they are really not that bad. Acually - from what i can see they are just rebadged Klipsch Quintet satelites.

Matej, go and get something like a denon 1802 or a H/K 225/320. Both have strong amp sections, and so long as you don't go nuts with the volume control, you and your 4 ohm speakers will be fine.

As far as subs - take the LFE output on the reciever and get a splitter (like a Y cable) and get 2 mono 1/8" minijack to RCA converters from radio shack. Plug one converter into each sub into the L/R jack that would normally accept the L/R signal from a computer. Then run RCA cables from each sub to the Y adaptor. Then plug the single end of the adaptor into the LFE output on your reciever. I had to do this (but i only had a Cambridge soundworks computer sub) until i got my current sub. Its not a bad idea.

9. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

BTW - i second keith's idea for getting a Kenwood HTB-504 system! Those run for $500 new, and are the best kept secret in low end HT! I set up 4 of them for my clients, and they were all blown away by what this little setup can do for only $500

It has been discontinued tho - so hunt arround. It comes with:

5 Speakers - L/R/C/SR/SL
    8" Kenwood Sub - 100 Watts

Kenwood 506 reciever - an absolute treasure! The best reciever for < $300 IMO - it sounds pretty damn good, and has features that only $500-600 recievers enjoy! (Available seperateley, but also discontinued)

10. Matej

Matej Extra

Thanks a lot on all of the suggestions I am considering most of them, however I also saw the Yamaha RX-V1200. Does anybody here know much about them are they any good? also what about the onkyo TX-sr600/700's are they any good?