What's new

Need receiver with special feature. (1 Viewer)

Richard_Wg

Grip
Hi guys, I'm looking for a new receiver but need a feature that seems to mystify most local hi-fi shops. Here's my must-have feature:

I want to connect two recording devices (a vcr and a htpc) to this receiver. I need to have a receiver that can route the signal from any playback source (dish, dvd, etc..) into one of the recording devices in the background while in the foreground I would watch a different source.

For example, I would record a program from the dish into the vcr but I would watch a movie from my dvd player. Alternately I'll record a dvd movie with the htpc in the background and at the same time I'll watch a program from my dish in the foreground.

I know I can hook up the inputs on the vcr or htpc directly from the outputs of the playback sources but the point is to have the receiver do this for me.

I was told in another forum that some receivers have this ability but no specifics on models. If you know of any receiver that can do the above features can you please reply with the brand and model #?

Thanks!

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Sounds like you need a receiver that has a second zone function. I know the Denon 4802 has it, so you could look at a description of that to get an idea. But, what you need is a video output that is independent of what source the receiver is on. I don't know if you'll find that unless you go to something really expensive. You might find it easier to use switchers between the sources and the receiver, so you can tell the sources to go to the receiver or a given recording device.

But, you have to understand that if you try to record a DVD with a VCR the picture will be all messed up due to copy-protection. I think Dish would be okay though.

As to wanting to have 2 sources hooked up to it to record, you can just split the signal coming from the receiver, or use a switcher if you don't need both things to record at the same time.

Richard_Wg

Grip
RichardH,

Thanks for info. I dl'd the manual for the 2802 and it seems to able to do what I need it to do. You are right about the expensive receivers having this unique feature(multisource).

What are some of the brand names of video switchers you mentioned?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks