What's new

Need receiver with HDMI ins and component out (1 Viewer)

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I have an older HDTV with component input only (no HDMI). I would like to get a new receiver so I can switch between HDMI inputs (I now have several) but I need to go OUT to component, at least until this TV dies. I asked Best Buy and the guy said he was no expert but he knew for a fact that component only goes as high as 720 p. While that may be true, I am currently getting 1080i from my Comcast box and it works just fine for me. Ultimately, I want to get a PC connected to this TV and hoping that a receiver can bridge that connection. Thanks all.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
No receiver will down convert from HDMI to component. If you want component out, you'll also have to use component in. Since cable doesn't broadcast in 1080p video nor HD audio, there's no real reason to use HDMI from cable box anyway.

If you have a blu ray player with component output, you can use component for video, and HDMI out to receiver for audio only, and get the HD audio soundtracks. But, the component from a blu ray player won't give you 1080p video. It may not allow HDMI for audio only, when using component for the video. I'm not sure. You'll just have to try it. It has to do with copyrights, why no 1080p from blu ray over component. Component connections are capable of 1080p. It's just not allowed.

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Ed, thanks. That's good info. I want to be clear that 1080p isn't my priority here (unless I am missing something), just that I want to go PC to HDTV with the highest res, and my HDTV only has component inputs (and S-video, etc). I figure I can buy a converter or some video card dongle that will do the trick but was hoping that a receiver could do that. I have a 12 year old 5.1 receiver that I would not mind upgrading. I guess the question now is, since there is no receiver that can do this, what's the best way to connect a PC to my old HDTV? Its a 65" Mits rear projection, 10 years old, still looks great. And its become sort of built-in to the house so I am not inclined to replace it. Or spend any significant cash on this project, apart from a new receiver or some new video card. Thanks again.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
To get 1080p in any form, whether from new receiver upconverting or new card for computer, your tv has to be capable of it (I understand it's not your priority, but everything is going that way). Since your's isn't, just use component with whatever you have or get, and don't worry about it. I'm sure your tv is only capable of 1080i/720p, so whatever you decide to do should work for you, as long as it has component inputs/outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ixlr8