What's new

need receiver upgrade for under $700 (1 Viewer)

Cy Jervis

Agent
I am nearing the end of construction on a new house and looking to upgrade my home theater. The living room is 22 x 19 and shares an open area with a 11 x 13 kitchen, 11 x 11 nook and 8 x 8 entry and the area has a cathedral ceiling. The receiver will be powering a velodyne cht-12 sub, infinity c-2 and hts satelite speakers. I have an x-box, sony progressive scan dvd, sony direct tivo and have pre ordered a hitachi 57" s500 hdtv for when we move in. the house has been smart wired and the speaker wires were run for 5.1 with rear speakers on side walls to face each other. I could run 2 more wires for 7.1 easily if I wanted but wasn't sure if I would want to. I currently have a sony db-940 receiver and could just keep it, but have the urge to upgrade. I haven't looked for a while so I need some information about what would best suit my home theater. $700(or less) is my limit or else my wife won't let me live long enough to move in.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Hmm.. I would have to say either a Harman Kardon AVR-330 or a Harman/Kardon AVR-525 (last years model). Both are very nice pieces and you should definantly go check them out. The 525 can be found for different prices all around since they are phasing out this model with there new x30 series.

HK recievers have had quality control issues in the past but they have since fixed them since about 2 years ago, so don't be afraid if you have heard horror stories with HK.

The two units include plenty of extra such as video inputs and also a multizone so you can hook speakers in a second room.

Both recievers are 7.1 but of course play 5.1 and come with a mode called Logic7, which is another version of Dolby ProLogic II which I think the Logic7 is much improved. Hope this helps you out with my making your decision. Your $700 budget allows you to look at a decent range of recievers so don't be shy, but I seriously recommend HK.

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
I recently upgraded from a Sony STR-DB830 (that I was very happy with) to a Sony STR-DA4ES to get component video switching. The 4ES cost me about $600 online(list is $1000)and it was definitely an upgrade, but it's a bit larger that the DB830 (about 1" taller and 2" deeper). If you like your current Sony, I highly recommend the 4ES, however they've been discontinued and may be difficult to find.

Another receiver that I looked at and was impressed with is the Denon 3803, but it might be a little over your budget. The Denon 2803 is i your budget and also highly regarded, however I haven't personally checked out this model.

Regards,
Steve

Cy Jervis

Agent
I went and heard a Denon 3803 today
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
so now I'm leaning towards the 2803 or maybe just save some more for the 3803. The 7ch stereo was great, it has the upconversion for video and I could use the second zone option for other rooms in the house instead of going 7.1. Any reasons not to go with Denon or why the HK would be better?

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
For the most part Denon and HK are in the same league, the HK's offer a multi-zone which is basically... The HK has 7.1 channels of audio, but instead of using all those 7 channels it will use 5 for the primary system and you can set two speakers in another room running off the main amplifier. It's a neat feature and you don't need another amp, so if you want two rooms the HK is a great choice (haven't looked into if Denon's can do that or not though).

To me HK sounds a little better but everyone has there own opinion about it so take a look around and see what you like before you buy or else you might regret it and end up not liking your buy.

Good luck!

Cy Jervis

Agent
The more I look the more I like the Denon but can't decide between the 2803 and 3803. I'm having a hard time with the price on the 3803 but like the extra power and features.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks