Need Receiver Suggestions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jack Sampson, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Jack Sampson

Jack Sampson Stunt Coordinator

I had an old (7 years) Sony surround sound system that recently died on me and I am looking ot replace it. Well really I just want to start with a decent surround sound receiver. I really don't know too much about the technology out there today but I know I don't want to spend more than $300. So if anybody could suggest anything I would appreciate it.

2. Glenn.L

Glenn.L Auditioning

get a refurbished harman kardon from harman audio on ebay. it still has the factory warrenty and since it is straight from harman kardon you can't go wrong

3. Jack Sampson

Well I'm going shopping this weekend. I don't want to wait for ebay. Shipping is very slow.....

4. orestes

orestes Second Unit

If you have a BB near you, then I suggest to buy a Denon. Near where I live you can have a Denon 3805 for about $800 + tax.

I am waiting a little bit longer to see when Denon will release the Denon 2807 with HDMI. I found out that I should re-start building my HT and HDMI seems to be the new fury. Note that the 3805 does not have HDMI, but it is a very good receiver from Denon. Oh I forgot the 2807 will sell for $1100. Good luck!

Regards,
    orestes

5. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

The Denon 1506 would be choice you couldn't go wrong with. $349, retail, which would put it well withing your budget on the street. 75wpc 7.1 receiver with all the goodies you could want - check it out: http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/243.asp#

BTW, no I don't work for Denon. Ironically, I own a Yamaha.

6. Jack Sampson

Well I couldn't wait for the weekend and I bought a Onkyo TX SR573S AV receiver. Now who can tell me how to hook it up? I have a satelite receiver, a dvd player and of course a tv to connect. Can anybody tell me the best way to do this?

7. brac

brac Agent

You get what you pay for.
    Good luck

8. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    And sometimes you pay for more than you need. The Onkyo 503/573 are very popular avr's at the $300 price point. No, they aren't as good as an $800 one but the 573 should work well for Jack as well as the many who have bought one before him. As for hooking it up, more info on what type of (and how many) inputs there are on the tv and outputs on the sat receiver would be helpful but here is a general guide. Use a digital optical (toslink) cable from the sat to the avr's tv/sat in. Use a digital coaxial cable from the dvd to the avr's dvd in. Use basic audio cable (rca) from the sat to the tv's matching audio input. Video cable from the sat and dvd depends on your tv's inputs and sat outputs. Use component cables (the red, blue and green bundled together) if you can. If not, s-video is next best. Running an s- video cable from the sat straight to the tv will allow you to watch tv with the avr off if you want to. The toslink cable mentioned earlier allows you to listen to the sat thru the avr as well. You can also run video cables from the sat and dvd to the avr's inputs, and a single cable from the avr's matching video output to the tv's input and use the avr as a switching devise, but you have to turn the avr on every time you turn on the tv (unless you also run an additional video cable from a sat out to a tv in). Confusing? That's why there has been a cazzillian hits to these type of forums. If I missed something I'm sure a fellow member will quickly correct it.

9. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

and sometimes you get more than what you pay for

Panasonic XR55

although it might have gone out of stock everywhere

10. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    ...what you pay for, more than you pay for, pay for more than you need. This sounds like a good topic for another thread, don't ya think? [​IMG]

11. Jack Sampson

Sorry didn't mean to start anything. I am very happy with the receiver choice. I did figure out how to hook it up and everything is working. I used rca's and component cables for all connections. I may upgrade the cables in the future when I learn more. Thanks guys. Great forum....

12. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    You'll have to use a digital cable, either optical or coax, from the dvd player in order to experience true Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround sound. It dosent need to be expensive. You can get decent ones for $15-$20. I think you can substitute an rca cable for a coxial one in a pinch, but you should pick up the right one eventually.