need receiver/speaker recommendations for budget home theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason|Pio, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Jason|Pio

Jason|Pio Auditioning

Dec 12, 2002
    I am about to jump into the home theater life this Christmas with a reciever/speakers purchase. I am pretty familiar with all the ht jargon and such, I just don't own anything yet. The Denon DHT683 htib seems like a good value for me except it has a 6" sub. If I were to buy a receiver and 5.1 speaker set separately, what would you recommend for under $1000 with the following guidelines?

-Need at least 2 component inputs
    -at least 2 digital audio inputs, preferably 3
    -dont care about number of rca/composite/svideo inputs
    -will be used primarily for tv/movies, maybe about 10% used for music
    -room is 12' x 15' so don't need a giant sub, maybe 8"?
    -don't care about upgradeability for 6.1, 7.1, 100.1 formats

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

2. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

Apr 23, 2002
    I buddy at work just puchased a system I'll give you the total price in Canadian which came to about $1700 do the conversion and you should be close to the $1000 mark. The price was below suggested retail as there is always some room to move.

System as follows.

Receiver Denon 1403
    DVD. Toshiba SD1800
    Speakers all Paradigm
    Fronts Atoms
    Rears Micro
    Center either The CC70 or CC170
    Sub PDR-8

I have been using a Denon 1802 receiver and Toshiba DVD player for about 10 months and I recomend both brands. The speaker option comes down to personal taste. This would give you a good starting point. I am not personally fond of all in systems but that's opion. Take a look at some of the quality audio shops in your area. We have some good shop in my area and they seem to know more that the big national stores.
  3. Aaron Rosenfeld

Dec 7, 2002
    Maybe I'm biased because this is what I bought, but here is a suggestion.

Reciever Panasonic SA-HE200 $350
    JBL NSP-1 5 speakers system $270
    JBL NSP-1 + JBL PB-10 $440

I already had a DVD player, but I you want to add one in, I would suggest the Panasonic RP62 for $150. All told, with the sub and the DVD player that is $940. All of these prices are at and do not include shipping.