What's new

Need receiver (+ amp?) recommendation (1 Viewer)

Nick Breckon

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going for a Paradigm Reference setup, with an SVS PC+ 25-31 sub. What receiver would go well with this setup? I looked at Marantz, which seems to be a popular one around here, but most are way above my budget. I'd like Dolby Pro Logic II, and at least under $400. Is this reasonable? I'm clueless as far as receivers go. Also, since the sub is powered, do I need an amp? Or would the receiver not be enough for the Paradigms (Two 40's, two 20's)? I'm clueless as far as amps as well.. bleh. I'm just pretty dumb, ha. Any help is very much appreciated.

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
I'm doing surprisingly well driving my studio60s / cc / 20s with an 80W denon 1802.

But more power is always a good thing. I think $400 is a bit on the low side for a receiver powering such fine speakers though. I use my 1802 because I had originally bought titans and atoms and wasn't expecting to own studios.

If you can swing it, a denon 2803 or 3803 could really help make those speakers sing.

Dom P

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a refurbished H/K 525 from their ebay store for $507 shipped. I see you're looking for a nice amp and it has 70W x 7. H/K is one of the few companies that rate their power at full range with all the channels driven. Instead of just at 1KHz with one channel driven. So a comparible Sony unit would have to have like 400W. LOL

Here is a link if you want to buy it new. http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_17140.htm

Denon is also a great choice. Very popular here and I don't see any major complaints. Can't go wrong with either H/K or Denon.

SVS has both powered and passive subs.
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subwoofers.htm

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Nick,

Your not dumb, just learning. Your 40s and 20s deserve a solid mid level receiver to enjoy them at good volume levels with some reserve power.

The Denon 2803, HK 525, will run 500-$600 and will do the job well. Both of these are at the end of their model run and were much higher priced a year ago as new models are out.

You might look into one of the new Panasonic XR-45 digital receivers. They are getting great reviews and are around the $ you stated.

Shop around and look beyond power ratings for reviews and comments about accurate power output.

Hope this helps,

DG

AndrewKC

Agent
At the 400 dollar price level, you should probably look for the receiver that has the features you're looking for, and a remote you can live with. The reason I say this is because you're getting quite a sub in the SVS, and you're probably going to cross over at ~80 Hz with your speakers. This will relieve your receiver from a LOT of the stress it would otherwise have to deal with. Then, when you're ready for it, you might add an external amp if you like, then later on, maybe get a pre/pro as an upgrade. If that sounds like something you'd want to do, you would have to make sure your choice of receivers has pre-outs too. Good luck!

TimGRA

Stunt Coordinator
Those speakers are great. Very efficient but LOVE power. The more you give them the better they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks