What's new

Need Reassurance on Denon 3802 + SVS CS+/Samson 1000 owners (1 Viewer)

Salvador

Second Unit
As i was doing my daily reading on all that is SVS i stumbled upon this thread at hometheaterspot
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...b=5&o=&fpart=1
It seems that some guy is having trouble with his denon 3802 and the samson 1000 amp. I have a denon 3802 and am considering a CS+/Samson 1000 setup. I'm just wondering on how many people have the same setup with problems or no problems at all. TV assured me that this problem only manifests itself with 0.01% (or somehting like that) of their customers and it can be remedied with the Bass interface box that they also sell. Now buying that box would throw off my budget and i would be quite dissapointed if i finally get the cs+ and discover that it has problems.
My expectations for SVS is very high. If i get one and it doesn't meet my expectations i will be greatly dissapointed and this would probably discourage me enough to take a back seat with anything about home theater.
Advance thanks to all of those who'll post their experiences.

Jeff_Rice

Agent
Sal,

I have that combination and I did not have any problems. I also use an external amp for (bi-amped) my front speakers. I use the receiver for my rear speakers because I think an external amp make a big difference. Hope this helps.

Jeff Rice

greg_t

Screenwriter
I have a Denon 2802 with the Samson700/20-39CS combo. I don't seem to have any problems. I did order the black box recently just to get the most I can out of it but haven't hooked it up yet. I moved up from the Audio Source SW15. I didn't notice a night and day, "rip up the floorboards" difference, what I did notice is smoother, much cleaner bass with less distortion on most dvd's. When I watched "The Haunting" in DTS, though, I heard bass at levels that I never got with the audio source. I did an initial calibration, but haven't yet played with positioning of the sub as I will soon be moving. I expect that when I hook up the black box, do a thourough calibration, and get the proper positioning, I'll see a bigger difference between the two subs.

Alex*P

Grip
i have a denon 3802 and paradigm speakers.
my system kicks rear!
why is everyone talking about additional amps with their denons? Denon gives you amazingly clean and clear power to begin with, and at 125w at 8 ohms, that's a pile of power and tremendous sound.
pls fill me in because it seems i'm either confused or people are throwing unneccessary money at their systems.;)

Mike Kao

Second Unit
Many receivers have impedence matching problems when combined with pro amps. Unfortunately I've had this dreadful experience before. It was very annoying, and I didn't want to bother having to use yet another device in between the sub amp and receiver which would only degrade the quality of the signal while artificially boosting it. I did purchase a Radio Shack SA-155 as temporarily solution, but it turned out to be a piece of junk so I returned it immediately. It became so fustrating that I decided to swap receivers only to be told I will experience the same problems. So instead I swapped my Samson for a PE 250 watt plate amp and my problems are now solved!

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
A friend of mine has the 3802, SVS Ultras with the Samson amp. I helped him hook it up, no problems. It sounds INCREDIBLE.

Jeff

Alex*P

Grip
I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY ANYONE WOULD USE ANOTHER AMP-ALONG WITH THE DENON?
CAN ANYONE EDUCATE ME?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Here is a table that one of the member's compiled showing actual amplifier ratings. Notice that some of the amplifiers produce significantly less power when all channels are being driven. Assuming you have enough power, separate amps tend to have lower noise floors and less distortion. It should be mentioned that the Denon receiver's amp sections are very clean & have enough power for most loads (although I seriously doubt the 3802 delivers a true 125Wx7). Before purchasing a separate amplifier I would work on room acoustics and consider speaker upgrades (much larger bang/buck).

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Alex,

If you do some searching on this forum you will see that several people with denon receivers have upgraded their sound systems with seperate amps. Yes denon makes a great receiver but you WILL notice a difference if you go that route. People aren't just wasting thier money on the amps!

I believe that you would notice a difference with the Parasound 855, which is ONLY 85 watts a channel! The best thing one can do is to try one out and see the difference.

One of my closest friends has a 3802, and I have a pair of the 855's, he can tell a difference from my system to his.

Jeff

Alex*P

Grip
GREG,

IF THAT WAS FOR ME, THANK-YOU. However, i am quite,in fact morethan,satisfied with the sound and performance of my 3802 and my paradigm setup. i have mini moniors, 10" sub and older micros...and two klipsch for back.

what more could i possibly want for my house? when i move my infinity's towers in, the old real good ones, i'll be in hogheaven. i love the receiver and it drives all i could want.

Salvador

Second Unit
Thanks for all the repsonses. This only helps solidify my future SVS purchase. It looks like the big black bad boy will be gracing my home before the summer ends...:D

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Salvador,

I think you heard enough maybe, but I have the Denon 3802 and run a Samson and variously a CS, CS-Plus, Ultra or SS depending on the day of month (perks of the job ;^).

All have worked perfectly. That's not to say use of the SVS 01 "Black Box" could not serve to allow even more flexibility (in terms of signal gain, phase, and subsonic filtering), but we typically recommend folks only go that route if signal boost is needed or they want these additional features out of the box.

Ron

kevitra

Second Unit
Alex - Please use a normal font size. Your posts look like you are YELLING.

I use a Rotel RPS985 amp with my Denon 2801 (110x5 THX cert). There is a difference bewteen it and the Denon amps. I suggest you upgrade your speakers before an amp.

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
You have received enough confirmation but I'll chime in anyhow. I have a 2802, 20-39 CS-plus, Samson 1000. I have no impedance problems.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
"i thought you had higher end stuff since you own a business and all."

Tom takes care of the high end with his Lexicon MC-12 etc.

How would we know how things really worked with middle market equipment if we didn't use it ourselves? Besides for some folks a Denon 3802 IS high end, or at least representative of what more customers own. The fact you can get great HT performance with "only" something costing $750 is icing on the cake for me.

And believe it or not, we're so busy pouring profits back into our products and improving company operations that we've sort of written off the 'Vettes and BMW's (and Denon 5803's ;^) this year.

I am hoping to replace my Sony 400Q projector in the next year though. We'll see how nice Santa is, and how much you all like some of the new subs we'll be introducing shortly 8^)

Ron

Salvador

Second Unit
How would we know how things really worked with middle market equipment if we didn't use it ourselves?
SO SO true. i couldn't agree more.
And oh yeah there are three flow ports on the plus subs right. What happens if you plug TWO ports instead of just one?

Salvador

Second Unit
and oh yeah ron, since you also have a 3802 do i need to buy AVIA or video essentials to properly calibrate an SVS sub? Or will the internal test tones of the 3802 suffice?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Salvador,
If I recall right the Denon tones are pretty accurate (I rarely even check any more), but for the small additional investment of Avia or Video Essentials (and a sound meter) I ALWAYS recommend a disk as final calibration. I've probably set up 100 systems with various subwoofers, receivers, mains etc, and there is only one constant...
the dolby reference routine on my trusty (but not yet rusty) copy of Video Essentials. You are not only testing the speakers and amps but your Dolby Digital decoding, the DVD player and the link in between with a test disk. I've seen receivers that are dead on with their calibration tones, and ones wildly off (typically it's the subwoofer tone too). Can't recall specific models and brands but suffice it to say there is only one way to be sure your sub and the rest of your speakers are set up right...
a sound meter and one of a handful of known DVD test disks.
We speak to this a bit in our FAQ's page, and if we didn't have respect for our accountant's opinion, I'd include both items in with each sub, that's how important they are to good home theater sound.
Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks