1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Need reasonably priced CD player and VCR...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by george.Legeza, Dec 30, 2002.

1. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

The two things missing from my system right now are a VCR and a CD player. I don't have a load of cash to spend, so I'm looking to get both for under $500, although under $400 would be preferable. There aren't any specific features that I'm looking for with either, I'm mainly just looking to buy the best bang for my buck. Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap VCR and/or CD player? Thanks!

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

George, I don't really keep up with VCRs, but you should find a suitable selection at Best Buy or Circuit City. Also check www.crutchfield.com for a representative selection of quality models. My suggestion is to go with Sony, Panasonic, or JVC. You don't have to spend much at all for a good 4-head hi-fi VCR these days. For $100-150, you should be able to get a good unit.
    If you spend $150 for a VCR, that leaves $250 for the CD player to allow you to come in at $400 for the pair. Here are some players to consider for $250 or less:
    * Sony CDP-CX355 300-disc megachanger: You should be able to get this player for $200 at Best Buy or Circuit City or through crutchfield.com. You may be able to get it for less through Oade Bros. (1-229-228-4480 or 1-229-228-0093), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or OneCall (1-800-340-4770). All three are authorized dealers.
    * Sony CDP-CA70ES five-disc carousel changer: The 'CA70ES is a better player than the 'CX355. The 'CX355 is great in that it holds 300 CDs, but the 'CA70ES sounds better. In addition to better sound, the 'CA70ES gives you the five-year ES warranty, while the 'CX355 comes with just a one-year warranty. You should be able to get a 'CA70ES for $250 or less through Oade Bros., J&R, or OneCall. Tweeter stores used to have this player, but I'm not sure if they still do. If you have a Tweeter store in your area, check it out. Note that you will pay full retail ($300) through Tweeter, though. The same goes for crutchfield.com.
    * Denon DCM-280: This is a new model, as it just succeeded the '270. The '280 looks to be better endowed than the '270. Check it out at www.crutchfield.com . Tweeter may have it as well. The '280 should be a good player for the money ($200).
    If you can spend $300 on a player, check out the Sony CDP-CX455 400-disc megachanger. In addition to holding 100 more CDs than the aforementioned 'CX355, the 'CX455 also plays MP3-encoded CDs. The sound of the 'CX455 should be the same as the 'CX355.
    Another $300 player to consider is the Cambridge Audio D300SE, which is a single-disc player. I have not used one, but it is well regarded for the money. See www.audioadvisor.com for more information. Audio Advisor is an authorized dealer.
    Finally, if you can spend around $350 (which with a $150 VCR would put you at $500 total), consider the Sony SCD-C222ES five-disc SACD/CD carousel changer. The 'C222ES retails for $500 (e.g., through Tweeter and Crutchfield), but you should be able to get it for around $350 through J&R, Oade Bros., or OneCall. It is a steal at $350. It originally retailed for $800, and it is an excellent machine. In addition to being a highly capable CD player, it plays both stereo and multi-channel SACDs. In case you are not aware, SACD is a newer digital format that offers better sound quality than CD. In addition to stereo, SACD also playback in 5.1, though not all SACDs are encoded in 5.1.
    As you can see, you have a lot of options to consider. I hope this information proves useful to you. Best of luck in your searches.

3. george.Legeza

george.Legeza Stunt Coordinator

Keith, that was exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I assumed that VCRs probably wouldn't be a hot topic around here, but I figured I'd ask for recommendations anyway. As far as CD players go I think you've given me all of the info I could ask for. I'm checking out the ones you recommended now and I'll probably order one in a few days. Thanks again for your help. [​IMG]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

George, great. Glad I could help. Let us know what you decide to get.