What's new

Need rears and a center, DIY or factory speakers? (1 Viewer)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
I finally decided to start asking around, since I just talked to my friend, who's parents have some equiptment that I could use for wood-working. Just so happens, that his dad already has plans to make some DIYs this summer, so that would work out perfectly.
I don't know how much I'll have to spend, but at most a couple hundred of dollars, anywhere from $200 to $500. Is there a specific tweeter/woofer combination/setup that would be "perfect" or "ideal" for my price range, or is it the usual "your own preference"? Since I myself won't be doing too much of the wood-working anymore, that shouldn't be too much of a concern. I've read some threads mentioning the AV1's, but what other setups are there? Should I look at different designs for rears? (Bi/di-polar?) And same question goes for a center, is there one design that's the BEST for what I want, in my range?
Or, would I just be best off going with a factory set, like the Axiom M3Ti, Paradigm Atom's/Mini-Monitors, PSB Alphas, etc etc...(list any others in my range, there's a good number of hifi HT stores around home, so I can probably listen to most all of them.) I've also read a good deal on the JBLs, something like the S38's, but as for a center, not a clue.
Sorry for the lengthy post, but I've been reading a lot, and I want to make the best decision possible. Remember, rears and a center, since my family-friend donated towers and SA-WM40 will do for now.
Any suggestions are much appreciated, and for those in the know, about DIY, I'd really like to hear what you have to say, as that's very interesting to me, but I don't want to be wasting my money.
Thanks. :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The magic is in the crossover. Unless your really really know what you are doing and have some good test equipment I wouldn't attempt crossover design. Unless you want to make this a serious hobby, collect the test equipment and do all the necessary reading to get up to speed on crossover design I would stick with kits.

In that reguard there are a lot of great options out there that have extremely good value. But $200-$500 for 5 speakers is not a lot of money. If you need the sub too it's just not possible to get good stuff for that price.

The Audax hometheater kit is pretty good. Runs a little over $600USD for the parts for the 5 speakers (not including enclosure construction and finishing materials).

Adire is having a group buy on their 281 and 81 speaker kits. $150USD for each 281 kit and $125USD for each 81 kit.

I suggest you get a little more specific on your budget and what you want to have when you are done (stereo pair with sub, 5/6/7.1) and whether you would be willing to do it in stages or not. We would also like some room info and what the other associated electronics would be.

Once you have that info, post again in the DIY/Advanced section and the guys there will steer you in the right direction.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The AV1s are amazing speakers, but that is with pre-fabbed enclosures, and even making your own cabinets, you are still only going to get 1-2 pairs, no center and no sub for that kind of money.

You might want to look at the JBL NSP-1 package in that price range, with a sub, you could probably do a decent setup for around $500-$600, but that is speakers ONLY. You didn't say what kind of gear you already have.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Well, I did mention that I had two mains already and an SA-WM40, but you must've missed it. ;) The mains are big 1 1/4 ft wide, 2 1/4 ft high, 8" deep speakers, older Sony. They seem to do the job quite nicely, and I know it'll be too costly to replace everything.
So to reiterate, it's just a pair for the rears and a center.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
My advice is to move the Sonys to the rear and build 3 speakers so you'll have a matching LCR for smoother panning and run your setup as all small speakers with sub. Most DIY speaker kits will most likely use better drivers, better cross-overs, and most likely you're going to have a superior built cabinets to boot (after all you are most likely going to have proper bracing, damping, partitioned, and volume cabinet for the drivers used). Right now there are so many great DIYs in the price range you're buying that making such a decision is going to be very hard but if you do decide to buy a popular kit (like the Adire for example) you should have plenty of people to ask questions for when those things that go wrong or steps that can be done much easier.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I did mention that I had two mains already and an SA-WM40, but you must've missed it.
No, I didn't miss it. As mentioned above, you will not do well to add kit speakers with high quality drivers/x-overs to a pair of Sony towers. It doesn't make any sense to have high quality surrounds and a center with average mains (Sony is not known for great speakers).

What I was trying to get across is that the JBL package would leave you with money left over and you would have a matching set. Since you already have the sub, this would be a good choice, but do whatever floats your boat. You asked for advice...

BTW, I'd been pricing out building some AV1s for myself recently, and the cost of cabinets (custom built) and hardware for ONE PAIR is almost $500. If you build your own cabinets, they will likely not be of the same quality, but should still work. I used to build my own speakers, but chose to have pre-built cabinets this time.

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
I know this is getting off the topic from Joe's original question, but John, you said something I wanted to ask about:
If you build your own cabinets, they will likely not be of the same quality, but should still work. I used to build my own speakers, but chose to have pre-built cabinets this time.
I've been thinking a lot about DIY lately. I really don't want to get too deep any time soon into the really technical end of DIY, i.e. crossover design, enclosure design, and driver selection. In other words I want to start with a pre-designed kit, like the AV1's or 281's, and I'm really looking forward to the woodworking part. Although I need to purchase another couple of tools to have everything I need, I feel pretty confident I can build the cabinets reasonably well. At least structurally, if not aesthetically.
So when you say home-built cabinets won't likely be of the same quality, do you primarily mean aesthetically (finish)? Or do you think the sound would suffer from typical home-built cabinets?
Why did you choose custom-built this time? Have you been unsatisfied with the aesthetic results you've gotten yourself? Or did you just have more important things to do with your time?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
David

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

I've had PSB Alpha A/V's before and they were very nice, but both my ACI Emeralds and GR Research AV-1's are well ahead of the PSB's. There's just no comparison.

Assuming you're building your own cabinets, I'd definitely look at the AV-1's or even the Adire kits that Dustin mentioned. The AV-1's will set you back $358 + shipping for a pair of unshielded kits and a single shielded kit. Unless you choose some wild veneer, you should be able to build and finish these around $500 including the kit prices. And I do agree with Robert. I'd move the Sony's to the back if at all possible. An AV-1 center definitely would not match up well with them.

David,

I'm assuming John is refering to the finish, but to be truthful, it's really not that hard. If you have access to some decent tools, then you can build quite nice speakers. A decent tablesaw (I actually built my 70-80lb. subs with a small $150 Craftsman tablesaw), a plunge router with a circle jig, and a few clamps will do the trick. And laying veneer is not hard at all.

BTW, my dad and I will be GR's main source for AV-1/AV-1+ cabinets. We have a well equipped shop, but are still just a small 2 man operation. No fancy CNC router, cabinet saw, or anything like that. Just quality tools, his 30+ years of woodworking experience, my 2-3 years of experience, and a decent sized shop.

Brian

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have no shop, and no longer have the room even for decent tools at the moment, in my apartment (not really even room for a decent work bench). This is a big factor for me. I don't have the time lately, but if I wanted to, I could make the time. Aesthetically, my previous work was not perfect, but not unattractive.
Brian & his dad are who I would be looking to have make my cabinets. :D
With an unstable work environment at the moment, I am holding off on anything.

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
Aesthetically, my previous work was not perfect, but not unattractive.
Yeah, that's about what I'm expecting for my first try. I'm very slow and methodical at this sort of thing, and somewhat of a perfectionist, so hopefully, my cabinets won't be TOO ugly.

Thanks John!

Brian:

Thanks for the encouragement! You guessed it, I need a tablesaw and router. Then all I've got to do is learn how to use them while not cutting off any major appendages, right? :)

David

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
David,
Well, I've been using a router for over 2 years now and just the other day I had a router bit go airborne on me out of my router table so be sure to take much care! :)
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks