Need quick opinions: Ebay auction...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ric Easton, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

2. Aaron Smithski

Aaron Smithski Stunt Coordinator

Ric,
    Do a quick search for Fluance in this forum and I believe you will figure out what they are about. Not too bad LOOKING, but I believe there is much to be desired with the engineering, crossover design, overall sound quality, well, pretty much everything except for the looks! [​IMG]
    Aaron

3. Ric Easton

Thanks Aaron,

Any recommendations on a fairly good inexpensive speaker set? Say 300.00 - 400.00?

Ric

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Actually, if I recall correctly, a search will yield people that are quite pleased with Fluance speakers considering what they cost. In fact, several of the "reviews" that Fluance has on their site are from members on this forum who's opinions I value very much. The consensus so far seems to be that they are a very good value for the prices they ask.

5. Aaron Smithski

Aaron Smithski Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps I should heed my own advice! :b
    I have just returned from search school and have a whole new appreciation for the Fluance line, although I have not heard any of their products.
    I believe I must have been momentarily delusional and grouped Fluance with Nuance! If they sound good, it sure looks like they are a good deal as their designs look appealing. Thanks for setting me straight Dan!
    Feeling bad about possibly leading you astray from your target Ric, I did some checking and it looks like they will be offering up another 27 package deals that will be closing on December 3rd at the same Buy It Now price of $189. They also have the same package listed at NR right now closing on the 14th with the current bid @ $78.
    As for other possible recommendations, I have in my second system (3) BIC DV62CLR's for my front channels and a pair of BIC DV52SI's for my surrounds. These were purchased for a total of $280 shipped. Out of the box they are a bit harsh and probably best described as piercing on the high end. But after a gentleman named Ed Frias works his magic on the crossovers and modifiys these characteristics with the implementation of better parts, they are supposed to be an unbelievable buy! I just pulled out all of my crossover assemblies this evening and will be sending them to him tomorrow. His charge for modifying the 5 crossovers is $100, so for $380 I should have a pretty listenable system until I get around to building my own. I just have to put up with the "ferro-fluid cooled" white lettering on the tweeters! [​IMG]
    Aaron

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

7. Ric Easton

Thanks guys.

After that auction I noticed several more, so I guess I didn't need to be in such a big hurry after all. After reading a few of the old threads, I think I will probably go with these. My room is only 14' x 12' so I think that combining this with a small sub... (someone was recommending a Sony, can't recall the exact model right now) I think I may be in pretty good shape.

Ric

8. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

9. Ric Easton

Dennis,

I'm at work right now... can you send me an email with your phone number?

Ric