Need Quick Advice! Which is the better sub: Klipsch KSW-12 or Velodyne CT-120?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by KevinRH, Jun 16, 2006.

1. KevinRH

KevinRH Auditioning

I've owned the Klipsch for many years now. I bought it when I didn't know much about subs. Now I have a chance to buy the Velo used for around $150. Will I hear much of an improvement compared to the Klipsch?

Yes, I know for $300+ there are better subs out there, but I don't have any extra cash to spend on a sub. I can probably turn around and sell my Klipsch for $150, meaning I won't be out any money at all this way and I'll (hopefully) end up with a better sub ...

Let me know what you all think! All opinions welcome!

2. KevinRH

KevinRH Auditioning

Someone? Anyone want to take a crack at this? I need advice because I'm looking at the Velodyne tonight ...

3. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    You'll probably get the same advise as you go on avsforum.

4. Eric Hargrove

Eric Hargrove Stunt Coordinator

I owned the CT-120 and have heard a similar Klipsch sub. The CT-120 is noticeably better. Being that it would be essentially free, go for it.

5. KevinRH

KevinRH Auditioning

I might have agreed with you, Rich, until I saw the post right after yours.

6. KevinRH

KevinRH Auditioning

Thanks Eric! Maybe I was just looking for a little validation, but I felt better after reading your post!

I've got the CT-120 downstairs right now, and so far it seems like a big improvement over the Klipsch. It can sound a little "boomy" but I don't have it dialed in yet - not even sure if I have the crossover set right.

Thanks again for weighing in!

7. Eric Hargrove

Eric Hargrove Stunt Coordinator

Hi Kevin,

The CT-120 can be can be a bit boomy at times but is still no doubt a great sub for the price you paid. It digs far deeper than the Klipsch. Nousaine measured it at [email protected] in his 7500ft3 large room back in the day.

8. KevinRH

KevinRH Auditioning

Thanks Eric. That's exactly my experience so far - much deeper/lower than the Klipsch, but a tad bit boomier/rumblier too ... Any advice on tweaking to cut down on that?

9. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    Someone before mentioned putting a piece of slate or large landscaping slab under their sub. They are cheap so you can try it and if you don't like it, you aren't out very much.

I tried it with my CT100. I left it there for a while to really test it out, but it seemed to me that it cut down the deeper bass too much. You will have to try it out for youself to really see what happens.

Good luck.

10. KevinRH

KevinRH Auditioning

Rich, I actually tried that with the downward firing Klipsch sub I just sold, and my experience was the same as yours - it seemed to reduce the bass too much. I think it might be a good idea if you have a downward firing sub on carpet though. Thanks for weighing in!

11. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    Mine is on wall to wall carpet. Wonder if maybe a small throw rug under it would work, or maybe a square of plywood? Something to soften it but not deaden as much as stone.

I might have to try it out this weekend.

12. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Two words.....Bass Traps.......

Ok, three more words.....acoustical room treatments......

Research this and you'll find all kinds of ways to help, and they actually work.

See the corners in this picture...(I now have an SVS PB 12 NSD/v in the corner)

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1141859899.jpg

13. KevinRH

KevinRH Auditioning

Blaine M - thanks for responding!

The single most effective change I ever made to my home theater was to build acoustical panels to absorb the harsh reflections I was getting in my new HT space. I'm definitely interested in trying out bass traps? Did you make your own, and if so - how?

14. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

There are all kinds of different ways to do it. I basically built a round cage using stiff 1 inch x 1/2 inch wire fence/mesh (the stuff that is not real flimzy), cut two circles for each end, used 4 2x2's for support and to staple the wire to. On the one end I cut out a circle so I could stuff it. I wrapped it with some batting stuff I got at a fabric store, covered that with fabric of choice (something accoustically transparent). Stuffed with as much fiberglass insulation as I could, cut another couple of discs to put on as 'lids', wrapped the lids in batting and fabric and that's it. I also decided to put spikes on mine so they wouldn't smash down the carpet and I can remove them when the wife wants them removed (She hates them). So far I have been lucky, haven't had to move them when people have been over.

15. KevinRH

KevinRH Auditioning

Thanks, Blaine!