What's new

Need Quick Advice - Pioneer VSX-D811S vs. H/K AVR520 (1 Viewer)

Mark.Louis

Stunt Coordinator
Hi to all: I was all set on buying a Pioneer VSX-D811s for my first home theater receiver (50/50 split between music and HT). However, just today I stumbled upon a deal where I can get a HK AVR520 (being replaced by the 525) for just $180 shipped.
I KNOW the HK is a better receiver, but in your opinion is it $180 better than the highly regarded Pioneer D811S? If so, why?
My three main concerns with the HK are that (1) I keep reading about unpredictably sporadic shutdowns and reliability problems, (2) it doesn't have Dolby Digital EX (but everything else), and (3) is only a 5.1 receiver (compared to Pioneer which is 6.1).
Can anyone shed some light on this...the clock is ticking!!!

Mark.Louis

Stunt Coordinator
CORRECTION...the AVR is $180 MORE than the Pioneer...I'd be stupid to ask the question otherwise ;)

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
What are the actual 2 prices you are comparing? I just got the 520 from onecall.com using a $20 promo code you can find on the net for $514.80 total including shipping.

I have not compare the D811S to the 520. But according to all the post here, for 50/50 music/HT, I would say the HK IS that much better. If it was more HT use, it might be a different story...

The thing that sold me on the HK besides doing music well, was the 8 pre outs and 5 main ins. You can easily implement a ICBM if needed later on, and if you add a better 2 channel amp for your mains down the road, you can use the amp ins for a true 7.1 system!

Ronnie

Steve_Han

Grip
Can you elaborate on how HK price will get better and when?

I thought the HK was capable of 6.1. Do you mean we need an extra amp to do 6.1 with HK520?

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
The 520 does 5.1 and 7.1 both with propriatery Logic 7 processing. It does DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete and Matrix but only has 5 amps.

I would also like to know the when and how much on the 520 price drop!

rf

Mark.Louis

Stunt Coordinator
Come one Gabriel...let us know what you know...or are you trying to make us wait while you snatch up the rest of them;)

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
ronnie: they do 7 channel stereo as well, that bypasses logic7. But like it has been pointed out, a 2nd amp is required for the back channels, but atleast you get stereo channels. I see HK's reasoning for doing it. look at the 525, steep price and 10 lbs added weight. There is a little bit of deception on their part. Just like HDTV ready receivers. Come next year the FED gov't requires HDTV tv's to have the HDTV tuners built-in

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Hehe. Sorry about that folks. Hopefully in about a week. I'm trying to work something with a merchant and tie it into home theater forum, so that not only will the prices be lower than anywhere else, but that any purchases would go to help support this forum. I'll provide more details as soon as I can.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
And just after I ordered a 520 from OneCall, for the same price as Ronnie above :frowning: Well, no matter when I purchaced, it would have happened right after. So you lucky guys that get one at the rock-bottom price, owe me. ;) Patiently watching the FedEx tracker. Upgrading fron Onkyo 575X.
JohnS

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
And just after I ordered a 520 from OneCall, for the same price as Ronnie above Well, no matter when I purchased, it would have happened right after. So you lucky guys that get one at the rock-bottom price, owe me. Patiently watching the FedEx tracker. Upgrading from Onkyo 575X.
Audio equipment is just like computers. After you purchase at what you think is a great deal for exactly what you want, you have to stop shopping! ;) The price will ALWAYS go down, or something else will always be just around the corner. You can get to the point that you would never purchase anything (which my wife would think is a good thing! :))
I think the $514 shipping is a good deal. Don't ask the people who get the deal in the next few weeks. Ask the people who bought one a month ago for $650! ;)
Ronnie

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
Ronnie,
I do think we got a good price, plus we have units in our hands for xmas :)
JohnS

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks