Need PVR Recommendation For 'Civilian' or J6P

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Edward, Dec 7, 2002.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

A friend with no interest in electronics is looking to purchase a hard disk recorder. Can anyone recommend which unit would be best for a non-technical user (ease of use, etc.). They might all be; I don't know.

He currently has cable, and most likely would not be moving to a dish.

Thanks for any assistance.

2. Jim Mack

Jim Mack Auditioning

Every review I have read picked the TiVo over Replay because of the better user interface (ease of use). I have not used a Replay so I can't verify this. I have had a TiVo for a year now and love it. My non-tech wife can find her shows, watch and delete them when done. Nuff said.

3. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I use the the Sony Tivo/Sat MOdel # SAT 60... Works well, and makes recording TV a blast!!!

4. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

Even the most brain-dead, dope smoking, mullet wearing, toothless moron could operate either ReplayTV or Tivo--they are that simple.* Both systems have a super, user-friendly interface and it shouldn't matter a whit which one you choose. The end user will probably prefer the lower monthly fee of ReplayTV, though.

*(I wonder if I could sell ReplayTV or Tivo that tagline for advertising purposes? Nah, probably not.)

5. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Bill,

6. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Bill Balcziak wrote:
    Both systems have a super, user-friendly interface and it shouldn't matter a whit which one you choose.

Both are rather easy, but some of us think Tivo's software is better, particularly in managing recording conflicts, being able to tell exactly what will record, and tweaking priorities if necessary.

The end user will probably prefer the lower monthly fee of ReplayTV, though.

Well, in both cases paying for the product lifetime service fee will be much more economical than paying monthly in the long run. The lifetime fee is identical for ReplayTV and Tivo, $250.

7. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

8. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

9. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Just as an alternate:
    I think the combination DVD-R/HDD units (like this one) might be worth looking into. I'd wait till the price comes down ($10 per GB might be good), but you can COMPLETELY forego the monthly fees associated with HDD-only units AND kill 2 birds (HD recording and DVD recording) with one stone. Definitely worth looking into.

10. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I want the Panasonic DMR-HS2 more than anything this Christmas.
    Santa probably won't hook me up though [​IMG]
    I am contemplating selling my DVD player (Panasonic RP-91) and also returning my TiVo (Sony SVR-3000) that I just bought and buying the HS2.
    What to do ?

11. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Mike: I'd wait 6 months to a year. I think prices will come down sufficiently to warrant purchasing one of the HDD/DVDR hybrids by then. [​IMG]

12. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

If you play with the disk-recording on the current combo DVD-R/HDD units, you'll find that the programming abilities are very lame compared to a PVR. Automatic show-based recording, and being able to "Google your TV" as one writer put it, is well worth the $250 software fee. Maybe this will improve next year; Toshiba licensed the Tivo software recently and is said to be exploring combo products.

With the going price on the units, you'd get a ton better functionality with separate PVR & DVD-R units, and not pay any more, total, even after the sub fees.

Keep in mind that DVD-R is really only useful for making discs from your camcorder tapes for archival or distribution. For time-shifting TV shows, hard drives are infinitely more convenient. Even for TV show archival, think about how many shows you'd really want to archive, and of those how many are available or will become available as manufactured DVDs, commercial-free, sometimes Dolby Digital, widescreen, & with fancy menus that you wouldn't be able to do on a DVD-R unit.

13. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Replay vs. Tivo is a pretty common discussion; there's a reasonably good comparison of the two available.
    In terms of things non-techies likely care about, conventional wisdom would be something like:
    • Replay auto-skips ads, Tivo makes it harder to skip ads
    • Replay has better organization of stored content (and can come with more storage space)
    • Tivo does a better job of things like handling shows changing timeslots and dealing with conflicts

14. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

is there any HDD recorder that does NOT require subscription? I don't want to pay any amount of dollar to anybody once I've purchased an HDD. I don't have to do that with VHS why should I pay for HDD?

15. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Replay & Tivo offer a one time sub fee option for $250. You really should just consider it as part of the purchase price.

RCA Scenium offers a combo DVD player-HDD recorder for $600. But the software is much less powerful, and if you look at the cost it's not any cheaper than Tivo + $250 sub + separate DVD player.

Why should it matter to you whether or not they break out software/guide fees as a separate line item? Just look at your total outlay vs. what you get in return.

You don't pay extra for VCRs, because the software in VCRs is many hundreds of times less sophisticated (simpler = fewer programmers/testers needed = less salaries to pay), the cost is built in to the hardware price, and it's spread out over many more units.

Now, for Canadians the equation is different, since Replay & Tivo aren't available there yet. So getting something like the RCA would be preferrable.