1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Need Pros/Cons of Pronto

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Flora, Jul 20, 2002.

1. David Flora

David Flora Stunt Coordinator

I've been mulling over what Pronto remote to purchase (TSU2000 or 6000). I LOVE the color and RF option with the 6000. Here is my question: I don't need it now, but in the future I want a remote that can control things like lights, blinds, etc. I think that's where the RF option comes in, but I may be wrong. Can the TSU2000 control these things? I also don't like the price tag on the 6000 either. I know I've posted questions about these remotes before, but I was wondering if anyone could answer my questions and give me some feedback at the same time. Thanks!

2. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

3. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

David:
    As Gordon pointed out in your previous thread on the subject, the X10 IR543 controller, also know as the Infrared X10 Command Console will permit an Infrared remote control such as a Pronto TSU2000 to control X10 devices. The X10 devices in turn can control all sorts of equipment including lights, blinds, etc.
    I use a Pronto TSU2000 in conjunction with the IR543 controller to control lights in my home theater. I also use it with an X10 low voltage switch to remotely switch the inputs to a high quality video switch. There are countless applications.
    You'll notice that the cost of the IR 543 controller is $30, much less than the additional cost of the color Pronto.
    I also agree with Gordon that the Pronto is extremely flexible, making it perhaps the most popular remote when used in complex situations. However, as with any LED remote, you do give up a number of specialized hard buttons. For example, being a veteran couch potato I can operate my satellite receiver remote control in complete darkness without looking at the buttons merely by the sense of touch. So whereas I can feel the guide button on the satellite remote in the dark, I must turn on the backlight on the Pronto and look at the soft-buttons to select the guide. Is this a big deal? No, but if I know I'm going to be watching just satellite programming in the dark, I just might prefer to use the satellite remote.
    On the other hand, I have an extremely complex setup in which the Pronto is a life saver. I won't bore you with all the gory the details, other than saying that most of my video programming is first processed by a home theater computer (HTPC). Before my High Definition TV will work properly with a given video signal, the correct inputs on the TV must be selected consistent with the resolution of the source being processed by the HTPC. To do this manually would require perhaps a half dozen commands issued from four wireless remote controls. However, my Pronto has a macro programmed into it which issues all those commands in the proper sequence at the touch of one soft button.
    I hope this helps a little.
    Larry

4. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

I have the Pronto TSU2000 and also use the IR 543 which works flawlessly. You can get the 2000 for $205 from ecost.com but the lowest I've seen the 6000 is $565 online. I really don't think that the color is worth that premium but if cost is not a factor then maybe I would think otherwise.[​IMG]
    Checkout remotecentral.com for lots of useful info on those remotes.